Show us your desktop!

New laptop - Lenovo Ideapad Y410p. I wanted a smaller, but powerful laptop- this thing is almost as big as a 15.6'er. But it's a quad Haswell with GT 750M graphics for $850 CAD, so I'm not complaining too much. Looks beautiful, too, like a mix of Thinkpad and Alienware. Unfortunately, it came with Windows 8 and Win7 has documented issues, mostly with drivers.

33njayx.png

Still a work in progress, I've got a lot of stuff to set up. And for the record, I hate Windows 8.

All you have to do is download a program such as StartIsBack. Boom. You now essentially have faster Windows 7.

AbyssPWNS said:
All you have to do is download a program such as StartIsBack. Boom. You now essentially have faster Windows 7.

Running Start8, actually, and I wouldn't even consider going without it. There's lots of small, annoying things in Windows 8 that make the whole experience... not painful, but not pleasant, either. I'm at a usable stage now, but I still don't like it.

XCVG said:
AbyssPWNS said:

Running Start8, actually, and I wouldn't even consider going without it. There's lots of small, annoying things in Windows 8 that make the whole experience... not painful, but not pleasant, either. I'm at a usable stage now, but I still don't like it.
This. When I return this CP POS, the next one I'm getting is gonna have Windows 7 whether Microsoft wants my money for a license or not.

superben51 said:
Waterfox hasn't been updated in 8 months. The latest firefox/aurora is more stable, faster and more extensible than any other browser offering at the moment. Might be able to find a 64 bit aurora somewhere.

Actually, I've had major problems with firefox. It got to the point where I could almost tell when it was going to crash.

superben51 said:
Actually, I've had major problems with firefox. It got to the point where I could almost tell when it was going to crash.
Can't be as bad as Chrome lately, it'll work your CPU really hard for no reason and constantly lock up for minutes at a time. Reinstalling and disabling all my addons didn't help and all and the chrome task manager said that it was only chrome using CPU anything also. The most annoying part is that starting up chrome for any reason just makes my CPU get really hot over nothing.

Firefox used to be good, then it was really crappy, now it seems to be working again. Firefox really loves to disk a lot for no apparent reason, though, and it runs much better with an SSD. I like Firefox's interface and some extensions, but I use Chrome on some of my other computers because Firefox is a resource hog. Although according to my friend, Chrome sucks up RAM like a mother*Can'tSayThisOnTV*er.

XCVG said:
Although according to my friend, Chrome sucks up RAM like a mother*Can'tSayThisOnTV*er.

He's right, it uses more than Firefox. If you go into task manager and add up all the individual chrome processes you'll see.

Zero said:
XCVG said:
Although according to my friend, Chrome sucks up RAM like a mother*Can'tSayThisOnTV*er.

He's right, it uses more than Firefox. If you go into task manager and add up all the individual chrome processes you'll see.

This is very true. Heck, a cursory glance shows Chrome is using 1.327gb in total on my system right now (18 tabs). But, really, I've never used more than half my total ram anyhow, so I don't actually care. As long as it runs good, and it does.

Mako321 said:
Can't be as bad as Chrome lately, it'll work your CPU really hard for no reason and constantly lock up for minutes at a time. Reinstalling and disabling all my addons didn't help and all and the chrome task manager said that it was only chrome using CPU anything also. The most annoying part is that starting up chrome for any reason just makes my CPU get really hot over nothing.

My chrome install was like that, but it got fixed with version 28, and I've had smooth sailing since.

More so than anything though, I'm just annoyed that no single family of browsers is any good across the various platforms. I use Chrome on my desktop. But chrome runs like flax and has a crappy interface on my tablet. So I use Firefox mobile and Opera on there. I use IE on my new phone and really like it, and opera classic on my old phone, and quite like that as well. But the end result of the fragmentation means I can't take advantage of tab sync and the like, since nobody can get their flax together and build a quality browser on multiple platforms.

Did they actually fix FF Mobile? Because for me it was backwards, I used Firefox on my desktop and Chrome on my tablet.

Zero said:
Did they actually fix FF Mobile? Because for me it was backwards, I used Firefox on my desktop and Chrome on my tablet.
I suppose it depends on how you think it was broken. I have no idea.

I've been using the stock browser on my phone and see no reason to switch. Opera I hated the interface, Firefox I haven't tried and Chrome I just shrugged and went, meh. Of course, I also used IE for years, and I still haven't dumped WMP for something not flax.

Zero said:
besides that it breaks once every 10 updates, nightly mobile works great for me.

Back