Show us your desktop!

Zero said:
ShockSlayer said:
XCVG said:
I miss the old quick launch. The biggest problem with the big buttons is that they will eat up half your taskbar. I heard there is a way to get old-style quick launch, but IIRC it involves registry hacking and is a pain in the ass.

I don't remember how I did it but I remember it being rather easy...If I can do it you can do it.

Frankly, I made windows 7 look like XP.

SS

Yeah, I've never taken the time to get used to Windows 7's new task bar, so whenever I reinstall I make the taskbar XP/Vista's size, get rid of the stacking/icons, and readd quick launch. Takes like 2 min, and all you have to do is add a folder to the task bar, no registry editing required.
It's easy, here is a quick guide I made.
First, right click on the task bar, and click properties. Then, check use small icons. After that, on taskbar buttons, use never combine. Then press ok. You are done, it is smaller, and you can turn on quick launch.

Wait, am I the only who finds windows 7's taskbar to be the best part about win7? Its absolutely glorious. Its far far far more functional than an xp start bar, and you can still have a quick launch bar on it. And having the programs you use right there is awesome because you dont have to minimize to go to the desktop or anything.

samjc3 said:
Wait, am I the only who finds windows 7's taskbar to be the best part about win7? Its absolutely glorious. Its far far far more functional than an xp start bar, and you can still have a quick launch bar on it. And having the programs you use right there is awesome because you dont have to minimize to go to the desktop or anything.
I agree, it's way better than XP or Vista, by a lot. I wonder how Microsoft is going to upgrade Windows 8's taskbar. I can't really think of anything that would make it better.

Noah7 said:
samjc3 said:
I agree, it's way better than XP or Vista, by a lot. I wonder how Microsoft is going to upgrade Windows 8's taskbar. I can't really think of anything that would make it better.
Specifying which applications can be combined and which cant? I'd like that feature, quicker than waiting for the popup to select the window.

6e2048.png

"the egg carrier" has all my misc. desktop folders in it. The wallpaper cycles through Scizor, Growlithe, Wobbuffet, Kingdra, Steelix, Breloom, Nidoking, and Gengar.

Also, Ubuntu Natty Narwhal.

Also, the Windows 8 bar will probably be worse than 7's.

Also, I never actually use Thunderbird.

Natty Narwhal sucked in my opinion. I upgraded and kinda regret it now.

As for my Windows 7 taskbar, I just set it to be like XP's because that's how I like things. I have keyboard shortcuts to open all my programs anyway, and I always Alt+Tab to switch between them, so I never actually use it anyway.

Natty Narwhal is alright. I haven't really explored other flavors of Linux, but I definitely prefer Ubuntu over Windows on my laptop.

I don't find Windows 7's taskbar any handier than XP's in regards to putting commonly-used apps on it. In fact, it's worse since they take up more space. As for using small icons, I tried it but didn't like it- I think the problem was that launch icons were virtually indistinguishable. The Show Desktop is on the opposite side but it's not hard to get used to. The thing I like the best about it is the revised system tray. THAT is vastly superior. The Start Menu is better as well, except I wish it let you add your own custom links to the right-hand part.

8-22-11.jpg

Desktop icons are only there because I haven't bothered to delete them, I either use the taskbar or start menu to start everything (with the exception of ME2, which doesn't like starting from in Steam, but works with the desktop shortcut). With a kinda crappy picture of my car as the background.

T_W, isn't that SOAD?

Also, my latest Win7 config:

fgfg.png

Hopefully that worked, photobucket thinks my PC is a mobile device right now for some retarded reason. I've since removed all the notification icons at the bottom, so I'm left with almost nothing but Ubuntu-style icons. :o

Maybe I'll write a small TSR that'll pop up with the trollface when someone types in run->terminal

Back