Should I get a nook simple touch for christmas?

Antome

Forum Blooper
22-NOOK-The-Simple-Touch-Reader.jpg

After currency conversion and shipping and what-have-you, It's just enough to warrant my parents getting it, but of course you cant buy nook books in New Zealand. Which pretty much makes it a tablet with an e-ink display (after rooting). That of course means I wont be using it for a whole lot besides browsing, documents, simple games etc.

Good idea? Nook color on ebay is still quite expensive, for me, so this is essentially the alternative.

We've got a Simple Touch and while the screen is faster than older models, it will still struggle with motion. The device is also completely mute because it has no audio hardware. Don't get me wrong, it's a great little e-reader. It's just not a tablet.

If all you want is static web browsing, PDFs, and an electronic doodle pad you can probably get by with a rooted Simple Touch. If you want a tablet experience, you'll probably be happier with a Nook Color or Kindle Fire.

Considering that is exactly what I would want out of it, and the fact that my parents would not get me anything which is more expensive (fair enough), the simple touch seems to be a perfectly reasonable present for the price.

No idea how much that costs, but Id go with a kindle 3 keyboard instead. Also ebooks arent hard to acquire; though the selection in the free section of the internet is a bit sad.

Already bought ::3:

Nook touch runs android(as such can run the kindle app)(its practically a nook color with an e-ink display), is cheaper than the kindle 3 from what I looked at, and it appears to have a higher refresh rate. While a keyboard would have been nice, The nook is in a perfect form factor IMO. Yes I know, it would make for easier typing but From the video reviews I looked at it seems to be a pretty good device anyway.

Bear in mind that anything more expensive would have been a no-go.

Back