Short Hop Button GameCube Controller Mod-Circuitry Question?

Hey all,
So if you're familiar with smash bros melee there are two types of jumps: a full jump and a short hop. A short hop occurs when you tap the jump button and to not hold it for longer than 2 frames. I've found this to be difficult and wanted to mod my controller for the y button to only short hop.
This is strictly for fun, not to cheat :).
My goal is to use an ATtiny85 and program it with an arduino to cut off the electrical impulse almost immediately after it is received.

My dilemma is that I have bad eyes -_- I was trying to follow the wires that go from the y button that go to the the IC. Does anyone have a diagram that can help me follow the wires from the y button to the the IC?

Thank you!!

Re: Short Hop Button GameCube Controller Mod-Circuitry Quest

This isn't related to the traces but, you should use a 555 timer instead.

I guess, it the controller you are using official or 3rd Party

It's an official one. From what I've read the knockoff ones have slightly different wiring?

Yeah that's why I asked anyway the image below is owned by ashen.
1.png

If you have a micro processor that controls the short hop won't if cause input lag?

Nice!! This pinout is half the battle, but it doesn't show the exact traces all the way from the y button.. Any idea where I might find that?

And as far as input lag goes.. Good question. I'll have to let you know once I implement it all.

I can short hop with no problem. Maybe just practice a little bit more? Seems a lot of effort to just land a Knee in someone's face from just a few inches from the ground. It's really just tapping the X or Y button slightly and using your aerial attack immediately after.

For some reason short hopping has always been so inconsistent for me. I've practiced at least 4 days a week for the last 3 years and mid game I always flub like 7 short hops.
But really this mod isn't to solve my problem. It's just more of a way to see what my life will look like one day when I do master short hopping lol I have no intentions on using this controller as my new permanent one. I've just wondered what it would be like to have something like this for a while ;)

BigLittleMan said:
For some reason short hopping has always been so inconsistent for me. I've practiced at least 4 days a week for the last 3 years and mid game I always flub like 7 short hops.
But really this mod isn't to solve my problem. It's just more of a way to see what my life will look like one day when I do master short hopping lol I have no intentions on using this controller as my new permanent one. I've just wondered what it would be like to have something like this for a while ;)

I'd say practice in dolphin, start with the framerate set a little lower than usual, once you have it pretty consistent then raise the framerate by a few FPS then get it consistent again, rinse and repeat until it's full framerate and then practice on a real console, this has helped me out with the back in time glitch on twilight princess, that only runs at 30 FPS and the trick is frame perfect, which means the timing has the same window as melee does for short hopping as it's 2 frames @60 FPS, I get it around 90% of the time now, as for the circuit, it'll be pretty simple, the code will be the interesting part, also the timing should be fast enough as long as you can set the clock high enough, but I don't think you can... I think it would happen just a little too late

Back