Sega Genesis model 1 with an upgraded video encoder

Drakon

All model 1 genesis systems excluding the va7 have the best audio quality out of any model of the genesis (better than the cdx / nomad / genesis 2 and 3). I also like the look of the model 1 (plus it's a dream to mod in these systems everything's through hole).

I used one of kits from here:

http://homepage3.nifty.com/F-LABO/ProductsList.html

The video circuit on this kit is a cxa1645 circuit. I wired up this kit into different genesis systems to see how it would look. I tried both a va5 and a va6 (the va5 looks great but the va6 looks better it probably has a better vdp). I removed the crystal oscillator from the kit and wired up the colour subcarrier line directly to the colour sub carrier pin that connects to the cxa1145 in the system and that cleaned up the picture a lot. RGB I tapped on the rgb INPUT pins of the cxa1145. If you grab rgb after it passes through the cxa1145 the colour encoding is worse (the 1145 doesn't encode colours as well as the 1645). You can remove the cxa1145 from the system but then the system eventually stops booting so it's necessary to leave the cxa1145 in the system. I grabbed sync from the solder spot of the av output port. Here's the results of s-video from the cxa1145 built into the system vs s-video from the cxa1645 circuit I wired up

s2bad.jpg

genesissvidperfect.jpg

Back