Sega Genesis 2/3/32x AV pinout

zeturi

DEMON PIE!
genesis3pinouts.png

Please note: you do not need to modify your genesis 3 for RGB when you are using a psone screen. Just pull it directly off the CXA1645M chip, in the places used in this tutorial.

http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/genesis3.htm

You will not need the caps and resistors unless it's being used on something other than a psone screen.

But you don't need to do anything on that page; the RGB output is suitable for use directly off the CXA1645...

I thought it was, because I was having some trouble getting it to work on my psone screen. But thinking back on it, I do remember seeing your Genesis 3 working on a psone screen without amplification. I thinking this mod only applies when you're using it on a typical RGB monitor. I'll edit my first post to make that clear.

Righto.

rgbgen.JPG

Just resistors as the levels were too high for VGA standards. I had no idea this monitor would sync to a <30khz signal. Awesome!

While we're at it, with this god-tier monitor...

rgbsnes.JPG

rgbpac.JPG

It's just a normal SyncMaster 940Be. I hooked up R,G,B, and ground like you'd expect, but VGA normally uses H and V sync separately while all my game devices only have C-sync (composite sync) easily accessable. Luckily putting C-sync on the V-sync pin for VGA and leaving H sync open it works just fine. I had to play with the image settings to get it to be clear (it was doing a weird doubling thing and was jiggly), but that just took like 5 seconds the first time. I don't recall off the top of my head, but I had to use resistors to bring down the RGB lines to a usable voltage as it was far too bright.

All 3 of my SyncMasters work with it, so if you want to hop on eBay and grab yourself a 940Be for some classic RGB goodness I suggest you go for it.

Back