Screen recommendations and advice

The biggest thing with a lot of those 7" displays is that it's a complete toss up whether the control board is huge or not. I don't know one way or the other if those particular ones are reasonably sized inside or not, but that's the main concern.

Other than that, they should work just fine, as long as you're okay with widescreen stretch.

The biggest thing with a lot of those 7" displays is that it's a complete toss up whether the control board is huge or not. I don't know one way or the other if those particular ones are reasonably sized inside or not, but that's the main concern.

Other than that, they should work just fine, as long as you're okay with widescreen stretch.
Thanks for the reply yeah I'm fine with the stretching doesn't bother me. I'm hoping the controller board is small as it's a pretty simple screen. The good thing about these screens is they're pretty cheap so it's no great loss if it's too portly can always just use it as a test monitor. I was looking at the LCD kits on eBay but the controller board are quite chunky with all the ports they have on them I was thinking about going for it and just desoldering the ports but that would be quite difficult and I don't think the board could handle the stress of just ripping them off.

Depending on the type of ports, you can usually snip the legs with side cutters and then trim down the pads so there's not shorts. It's faster than desoldering, and less stressful than directly ripping them off.

Additionally, a lot of screen breakout boards and such like that are pretty easy to bypass if you can chase the pinout back to the mainboard. Course, as ever, it's very much a case by case basis.

Depending on the type of ports, you can usually snip the legs with side cutters and then trim down the pads so there's not shorts. It's faster than desoldering, and less stressful than directly ripping them off.

Additionally, a lot of screen breakout boards and such like that are pretty easy to bypass if you can chase the pinout back to the mainboard. Course, as ever, it's very much a case by case basis.
Thanks man I might give that a try if I end up having to buy one of the kits.

Thanks for the reply yeah I'm fine with the stretching doesn't bother me. I'm hoping the controller board is small as it's a pretty simple screen. The good thing about these screens is they're pretty cheap so it's no great loss if it's too portly can always just use it as a test monitor. I was looking at the LCD kits on eBay but the controller board are quite chunky with all the ports they have on them I was thinking about going for it and just desoldering the ports but that would be quite difficult and I don't think the board could handle the stress of just ripping them off.
Just found a tear down of the same panel that has been modified for RC use then hacked to have a battery by the owner and the controller board is tiny think I got a winner here.

Keep in mind that even though the case and model are the same, your internals may vary.
I would expect that it'll probably have a small driver board regardless because less area is cheaper, but you really never know with these things. They're made to be replaceable, not serviceable, so the internals are just whatever they can get for the cheapest at the time.
A fun side effect of this is that it seems that about 10% of the time, you'll get a resistive touch panel fused to the front of your 3.5in screen for no other reason than those assemblies were cheaper at the time.

Keep in mind that even though the case and model are the same, your internals may vary.
I would expect that it'll probably have a small driver board regardless because less area is cheaper, but you really never know with these things. They're made to be replaceable, not serviceable, so the internals are just whatever they can get for the cheapest at the time.
A fun side effect of this is that it seems that about 10% of the time, you'll get a resistive touch panel fused to the front of your 3.5in screen for no other reason than those assemblies were cheaper at the time.

Yeah hopefully it will have a small driver board like you said less surface area = less money. I know there is a 7" touchscreen floating about out there maybe ill get one hopefully not though because I don't need it and I think you can actually see them.

Back