S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow Of Chernobyl

AfroLH

Frequent Poster
Have any of you guys played this game?

If so, did you like it? Why? Why not?

If not, play it. It's an open-world FPS set in an alternate reality in a post-Chernobyl-incident world where a second nuclear incident happened, causing strange changes to the environment. You are a Stalker, an illegal explorer/scavenger who searches "The Zone" (an exclusion zone set up by the government to keep people out of the radioactive areas) for artifacts, which are strange objects formed in anomalies, strange areas with altered laws of physics. You were found in a death truck by another STALKER, who brings you to a trader who you subsequently work for. You have lost all of your memory, and the only thing you have is a PDA with the objective "KILL THE STRELOK".

I highly HIGHLY recommend playing this game if you are into realistic, gritty, atmospheric First-Person Shooters, or if you like games like Fallout. If you do play it, I'd recommend modding it with the STALKER Complete 2009 mod, which makes the game so much better without changing anything too drastically. Also, make sure you play on the hardest difficulty. While it may seem counter-intuitive, it makes the game wayyyy easier. It makes your (and your enemies) shots wayyyy more accurate, and makes it like a real FPS.

Wait, alternate reality? You mean the zone isn't really like that? Dang, there go my breams of becoming a S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

In any case, excellent game. I find this trope image about sums it up:
tumblr_mducvfoZES1rxb2r5o1_1280.png

The game really gets the atmosphere right. The world never feels friendly, and rightfully so - everything wants you dead, and has good methods of making you dead. And yet, despite everything mercilessly slaughtering you, it's not that sort of '*Can'tSayThisOnTV* you' type difficulty where the game just hates you. It's all in tactics, and creativity, and that can of beans and the bandages.

Ukrainian (and non US/mainline Euro/jap in general) devs seem to do better at capturing the whole post apocalyptic feeling. Metro 2033 did a good job of that too. Whereas the American developed post nuclear games, while they are awesome, don't have that atmosphere much at all.

I like that game because I feel like I am in the middle of movie scene and I am also a part of it. It makes me feel very cool.

I bought it during a Steam sale around 3 years ago, but I still have yet to install it.

AfroLH said:
I highly HIGHLY recommend playing this game if you are into realistic, gritty, atmospheric First-Person Shooters, or if you like games like Fallout. If you do play it, I'd recommend modding it with the STALKER Complete 2009 mod, which makes the game so much better without changing anything too drastically. Also, make sure you play on the hardest difficulty. While it may seem counter-intuitive, it makes the game wayyyy easier. It makes your (and your enemies) shots wayyyy more accurate, and makes it like a real FPS.
samjc3 said:
I find this trope image about sums it up:

The game really gets the atmosphere right. The world never feels friendly, and rightfully so - everything wants you dead, and has good methods of making you dead. And yet, despite everything mercilessly slaughtering you, it's not that sort of '*Can'tSayThisOnTV* you' type difficulty where the game just hates you. It's all in tactics, and creativity, and that can of beans and the bandages.

Back