Rob's CNC machine

robm

Billy Mays
Staff member
Well, I'll call this "finished," though there's never really going to be a point where there isn't something to do to it. But, it's etching aluminum, which is all I'd originally intended on doing anyway for PCB milling.

There are several improvements to be made, largely in my choice of bearing solutions. The skateboard bearing/round tube idea works in theory, but there is just too much jitter and play. I'll be investing in linear rail assemblies for when I rebuild the machine out of aluminum. (Thankfully, I already have the bulk of the aluminum.)

My original work log was titled "Portable CNC machine." However, this thing is only portable in the sense that it's not bolted to the floor. I ended up going with a bigger workspace than I had originally intended, mainly because in the end I would actually like to do work beyond just etching PCBs.

Safety issues need to be addressed, mainly I need to figure out why the limit switches refuse to operate.

So, video and pic dump.

First, special mention to those who gave advice and donated stuff/feedback/ideas to the project, mainly Sam and Beta.

Etched aluminum:

20120920_225244_zpse9afcbda.jpg

View of the tool holder assembly:

20120815_213111.jpg

View of the machine sans tool holder assembly:

Picture095.jpg

Video of etching plastic:

I'll post later with some more detailed pics of the wiring and such, once I get it cleaned up.

Looks great man! With a bit of tweaking I'm sure you'll get it down to a science. Nice job Rob. :D :D

This is great Rob! :awesome:

I would steal someone's iPod and engrave a penis on it.

@public-pervert: About a year and a half, most of that due to it just sitting gathering dust.

@grossaffe: I am so stoked about eventually converting this to a 3d printer. When I rebuild this out of aluminum, I may
just say to Heck with it and leave this one intact as a 3d printer.

I'll probably keep posting stuff in the worklog over in misc projects as I continue to improve the machine and engrave other things.

Back