Rev C cut not working with wiikey SOLVED!

LOCtronicz

Formerly known as zenloc
Has anybody succesfully cut a rev C board and installed a wiikey on it? I'm having some issues...

It keeps frying the wiikey's I put on. As far as I know it is not a short but for some reason pin 1,3 and 5 (wiikey pinout on the gamecube) are high (3,3v) on the gamecube as where my other gamecube isn't.

This is when nothing is connected. I've already killed two wiikey's. Anybody have a idea??

I've also recut another rev C ans still no deal. Same problem..... Following Ashen's cutting guide for rev C. I've never properly used a rev C board before so this one is new for me.

Re: Rev C cut not working with wiikey

i did the same cut in ashen's guide with a wiikey and had no problems with it.

Strange. I did 2 boards and both have exactly the same problem...

Well goes off to investigate some more..... :rolleyes:

Yep. I've still got the board here that I made my trimming guide out of. Its got a FFC wired to it for the Wiikey and everything works fine.

How are you powering the Wiikey? Are you sure your inputting 3.3v and not something higher? I've accidentally powered a few Wiikeys off 7+v before, which doesn't ever end well.

Its a PAL or NTSC rev C??

yea...just to add....going back to the basics here...
since the DVD drive itself is interchangeable between all mainboards there should be no reason for it to be blowing out WKFs.....all dvd signals will be the exact same...

are you reading 3.3v pin 1,3,5 when WKF is connected or you reading with no WKF connected?
that walking dead WKF i "had" brought back to live was doing some weird stuff with voltages on pins etc etc before it ultimately suicided itself...

PAL doesn't have a rev c. It's an NTSC board. dol-50 I believe. The other one I cut was a dol-60.

When I have nothing connected to it and turn the gamecube on, where I would wire the wiikey pin 1,3 and 5 it is high ( 3v something) When I get my PAL cube do the same and check those points it's low (v0.0) all the other points seem to be the same.

When I connected the wiikey the blue light stayed on and it kept on staying at reading... My wiring was perfect so that's not it. Also the wiikey works on the PAL board so it's not that either.

However when I leave it for to long smoke comes from the wiikey. Meaning it really fries something. This happend twice...

I sanded down all the edges and checked with a magnifyer and no traces are bridging. Also everything works. Slot A, B all controllers. I can go into the menu only the wiikye is acting strange....

I'm going to wire the original disc drive and see if that works. I might have messed up the board somehow :confused: I just don't know how. I'm using a custom regulator but even with the original it's the same.

I'm kind out of idea's been messing with it for days now :mad:

aaaaaaand it's solved!

Seems my multimeter wasn't working right. Put a new battery in and all the lines meassure the same.

Since it wasn't working I decided to take out my board( as it was in my portable) and give everything a good rub with alchohol. And just like that everything is working like a charm. :mrgreen: Seems there might've been some residue of some sort that was making a short somewhere.

Anywayz it's looking great. Thanks for the quick help.

Back