Replacing the DS's D-pad with a NEO-GEO Pocket Joystick?

Hi everybody. I'm a long-time lurker but a first-time poster to the Modretro forums.

I've been building a GBA macro, and I was wondering if it was possible to transplant the NEO-GEO Pocket's joystick onto the DS's board.

If it is possible, could anyone give me a quick idea of what I'd have to do?

Thanks in advance!

The stick is not analog right? That mean it has tact switches inside. So electrically, all you have to do is solder up the tact switches to the connections on the DS mainboard, where the original DS tact switches are.

Physically is harder, from watching disassembly video the Neo Geo stick goes through the mainboard, and the tact switches are on the backside of the pcb. The whole thing look like it's quite thick. It won't fit on top, where the original Dpad is, or it will be super thick.

I think the best way would be to cut out the whole control stick chunk from the neo geo, with pcb and all. Then mount it to the side of the DS.

Or buy one of those micro analog sticks and mount some SMD tact switches under to recreate the NEO-GEO stick but on a smaller scale.

Size was really my main concern. It's good to know that all I really have to do is wire it up to get it to work, though.

Would it be possible to, say, remove the left half of the DS's board (where the D-pad sits), and rewire that chunk of Neo-geo PCB to the rest of the DS's board? How would I go about that, if it is, in fact, possible?

Thanks for all the help so far, guys. I'll promise I'll post pics if this all turns out.

Trimming of the left part of the board won't work, from looking at pictures there's a lot of traces and components that you would have to rewire.

WatsuG said:
Trimming of the left part of the board won't work, from looking at pictures there's a lot of traces and components that you would have to rewire.

I was looking around at some other joystick alternatives, and apparently the Neo-geo CD's controller has a very similar joystick. Here's some photos:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/DfEDgdwcm90/maxresdefault.jpg

http://www.gamesx.com/grafx/neopadfix4.jpg

I imagine that I could use one of these instead, as it appears to be far less bulky. Would the installation process be similar to that of the pocket joystick? As far as I'm aware, the CD's joystick is mechanically identical, microswitches and all.

Would this be a feasible alternative, or should I just build my own suedo-joystick?

You could probably place that pcb with the stick ontop of the NDS motherboard. The stick itself will stick out a long way, and not be downsunk like on the neo geo.

WatsuG said:
You could probably place that pcb with the stick ontop of the NDS motherboard. The stick itself will stick out a long way, and not be downsunk like on the neo geo.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for all the help!

The Neogeo Pocket dpad/joystick hybrid is just made from old mouse tacts. No need to use parts from the NGPC itself. (if it'll fit)

Back