Replacing 64 controller ripoff control sticks

Diminuendo

We all know only 3rd party 64 controllers can have their stick replaced, but after discovering the ripoff controllers on ebay, I wondered if I could take the guts of one ind put it into an official shell.

Accoring to this review (which I swear had pictures last week) the board, is the same size and the screw holes are at the exact same places, and it uses 4 wires to control the stick.

So I bit the bullet, I bought one of these and one of the ripoff gamecube controllers Hail did a review of a while ago for the sticks.

When I got the two, I desoldered the gamecube stick and attached it.

It didn't work.

Mario begining a tip-toe step, over and over, but he wasnt moving (in Mario 64) he kept starting the animation, but it would cut out before he actually moved. I was afraid I damaged the stick, and while trying other sticks in my borked controller box I discovered that it was working with my old Madcatz GC controller. In fact it worked perfectly.

clearly after all my other tests, this stick had a different resistance, the problem is, the reason I put theis controller in the box was that the analoge sticks nub had been worn down to nothing, so I need a replacement. I can't get any of those controllers for under $40, Heck, I'm sure the nub on these would wear away just as quickly anyway, anyone know something I could use instead? preferably I would like to use a GC stick nub, but im not too stressed if it works.

Classic controller joysticks work pretty well, and they're cheaper than official gamecube controllers.

bentomo said:
Classic controller joysticks work pretty well, and they're cheaper than official gamecube controllers.

Well, I took your advice, works perfectly! Pics and a video as soon as I get it mounted inside a shell

Back