Repairing a Gamboy DMG Classic

NekoNova

Okay,

As mention in my previous thread, I'm going to keep a worklog on my progress in order to properly restore this gameboy.

Introduction
Originally the gameboy comes from Ebay. It was being sold as "defect" with the message that the led turns on when batteries are inserted, but no sound or display appears. My initial thought was that some of the capacitors might have leaked or dried.
After opening the handheld and looking inside, it was a mix of leaked capacitors and leaked batteries, with goo being everywhere.

After an initial cleaning, this is what the boards look like:
IMG_20130602_105741.jpg

IMG_20130602_105728.jpg

IMG_20130602_105713.jpg

IMG_20130602_105701.jpg

The Main Board
What I call the "main board", is the board that holds the CPU and cardridge connector. This board seems to have a major malfunction, as it doesnt seem to be doing anything at all.
Here are my findings about this board:

• When attached to a working display, it doesnt do anything
  • The DC converter is working, but behaves odd. When reversing the connection on the board (dangerous I know), the sound actually starts to work, but not the display.
  • All traces on the board seem to be in working condition. Performed continuity checks
  • Non of the ICs look damaged
  • All the electrolyt capacitors have been replaced with new ones.
  • On the board seem to be red ceramic capacitors. No idea if it makes sense to replace them?

I removed all components from the board in order to test them individually.
Here is what the boards look like right now:

IMG_20130609_094409.jpg

IMG_20130609_100340.jpg

On this last board:
  • Removed a bit of the copper paper?? because it was rotting away. Replaced by a wire.
  • Removed all the goo gunk from the board this time (squeeky clean :))
  • Some traces are exposed. This is due the glassfiber brush since they were covered in gunk. Continutiy is fine on them.
  • Redid the big blobs of solder. Thinned them down a bit. Looks messier then it is.

Here's the removed individual components:
IMG_20130609_100416.jpg

Now I'm a bit confused about this silver component D419J1.
Can anyone tell me what this actually is, and how I could test if it's in working condition?
All other components have been checked and are confirmed to be working.

Question/feedback appreciated :)
Also if you think you can help out on this, by all means let me know.

That little oval shaped component is the gameboys clock. If you were to solder it into another board you could potentially see if it works.

cool, thanks for the feedback. If I'm not mistaken this is 4.something Mhz clock right?
I think I might just replace as a whole, these things aint that expensive anyways and increases the life of the gameboy.

Okay, need some additional input on getting a new oscillator:

This one?

Anyone able to confirm if this is the correct one?
Speed is the same, and it looks the same, but I'm not sure about the additional parameters such as the resistance and capacitance....
One I get the new oscillator I might be able to progress with this gameboy.

Back