Remote Webcam and Serial Terminal

XCVG

ModRetro Legend
Okay, a little background. Some of you may remember my ridiculously complicated halloween setup last year. I had sensors, lights and a fog machine connected to an Arduino, controlled from a PC via USB virtual serial. Although I want to build a candy dispenser (FULLY AUTOMATED!), my main focus this year will be streamlining the software and hardware.

To this end, I plan on rewiring all the components and connecting them to the Arduino via a GVS shield to make it cleaner and more reliable. I'll probably leave the power supplies and relay section as is for the most part. Streamlining the software will be a royal Sega considering I am absolutely awful at programming.

Which is where I need your help. You see, I want to be able to access this thing via network from either my laptop or my desktop. I considered Bluetooth and Wi-fi modules, but sadly I am too cheap to buy one. I have an Eee PC, which I plan to put outside and connected the Arduino and a webcam to. I considered a remote desktop program but that's hardly an elegant solution. I'm thinking maybe some kind of remote serial terminal to send commands to the Arduino or a client program running on the Eee PC, and some way to send the video from the webcam. Maybe a web-based solution?

EDIT: Forgot to mention I also want to be able to play sounds and music through this.

ZigBee doesn't really do me any good, because I would still need a bulky, ugly module attached to my computer.

Back