Remap keyboard on Toshiba Satellite 2545XCDT?

Hi! I just joined and this is my first post.

I'm trying to resurrect an MS-DOS based note-taking system I used a decade or more ago on a Toshiba 1910CS laptop.

The problem I'm facing is finding a laptop with twin pairs of Alt & Ctrl keys, one set on each side of the spacebar like on a standard PC keyboard.

The old DOS software I was using depended heavily on keyboard shortcuts using the Alt and Ctrl keys.

On that old Toshiba 1910CS I was able to run a DOS keyboard remapping program called Prokey, that allowed me to remap a couple of the keys on the right side of the spacebar to work as Alt and Ctrl keys.

But that old 1910CS died and I'm trying to replace it with a hand-me-down Satellite 2545XCDT. Trouble is, I can't get Prokey to work on the 245XCDT.

I'd be grateful for some help in figuring out a way to remap a couple of the keys, for example the Del key and the left arrow key.

About a year ago a fellow in another forum suggested I try modifying the scan codes with assembly language. But I haven't a clue what that means.

I'm open to all suggestions, including chucking the laptop I have and finding another one that would be more usable for me.

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

The ThinkPad T4x series and older all feature Ctrl and Alt key pairs on both sides of the keyboard, and no nasty windows key between them.

Lenovo%20ThinkPad%20T40%20Keyboard.jpg

Back