Relocation of Game Slot

I am relocating the game slot on my n64, and I was wondering if it is ok to just solder the new joints onto the old ones, as my iron wont get hot enough to melt the old solder joints :oops:

If I can't solder the new joints right onto the old ones, could you guys tell me what soldering irons you use that are capable of melting the solder board. This is my first time trying to make a portable and I really don't wanna screw it up, so any help is welcome. Thanks

What wattage is your soldering iron? You should have no problems melting the old solder. Do you have any flux? Try putting that on the old joints, or mixing the old joints with new solder. If that doesn't work, there is something wrong with your iron. :confused:

BoFoSho said:
15 watt is fine for me ,
Try a 25 watt.
30 watt at most.

I used a 15 watt when I first started. 15 watt has worked fine for lots of portablizers. Life of Brian was still using one in 2009 after 2 years and seemed to have no problems making awesome portables! I personally use a 25 watt because I'm a bit too impatient to wait on a 15 watt. Most people say that 30 watt is the highest you should go, but I've never seen why you can't use a 45+watt soldering iron as long as you're careful. Bicostp uses a 60 watt.

I did a bit more explaining than that post :)

Ok, I'm not liable if you get hurt doing this, but lick your finger and lightly tap the tip of your soldering iron. It should feel hot. Please try this. You might be using incorrect techniques.

Get a blob of solder on your iron, and then submerse the joint in it while its still on the iron. That usually does it for me.

eurddrue said:
Ok, I'm not liable if you get hurt doing this, but lick your finger and lightly tap the tip of your soldering iron. It should feel hot. Please try this. You might be using incorrect techniques.
Yeah. Its hot. Burned my finger too

βeta said:
Get a blob of solder on your iron, and then submerse the joint in it while its still on the iron. That usually does it for me.
With a 15 watt?

chrisperson94 said:
eurddrue said:
Yeah. Its hot. Burned my finger too

βeta said:
With a 15 watt?

I dunno, try it. The worst thing that can happen is nothing at all.

Metalcookie said:
Is the tip of your iron shiny or dull? It could be poor heat conductivity.
The end is shiny, but the rest of the actual soldering tip is dull
Here is a picture
DSCI0002.jpg

sorry for the angle, hard to get good light, and some sort of focus. And yeah, it is screwed in, the thing is crooked

Do this:

1-remove tip (not when its hot.) :p
2-Put it in a power drill, threads in, point out. Not all the way in, just a bit.
3-bend it straight w/ pliers.
4-put some coarse sandpaper on your bench.
5-run the drill, pushing the head on the sandpaper at an angle. Move it around.
6-Gradually move to finer grits of sandpaper. You really only need 4: 80, 200-ish, 800, 1000
7-Be sure the tip is smooth. It will oxidize if it isn't.
8-Put it in your iron, heat it up, and tin it.
9-??????
10-PROFIT!!!

Seriouslly, I did this to my ratshack iron. Never have needed a new tip.

Basement_Modder said:
Do this:

1-remove tip (not when its hot.) :p
2-Put it in a power drill, threads in, point out. Not all the way in, just a bit.
3-bend it straight w/ pliers.
4-put some coarse sandpaper on your bench.
5-run the drill, pushing the head on the sandpaper at an angle. Move it around.
6-Gradually move to finer grits of sandpaper. You really only need 4: 80, 200-ish, 800, 1000
7-Be sure the tip is smooth. It will oxidize if it isn't.
8-Put it in your iron, heat it up, and tin it.
9-??????
10-PROFIT!!!

Seriouslly, I did this to my ratshack iron. Never have needed a new tip.

Thanks. Did this, and now i can remove the pins. Why do there have to be so many!? :p

NO

DON'T DESOLDER ANYTHING

JUST BEND OFF THE SHIELDING, PULL OFF THE PLASTIC, AND SNAP ALL OF THE PINS. IT'S SO MUCH EASIER THIS WAY.

βeta said:
NO

DON'T DESOLDER ANYTHING

JUST BEND OFF THE SHIELDING, PULL OFF THE PLASTIC, AND SNAP ALL OF THE PINS. IT'S SO MUCH EASIER THIS WAY.

Do this. Works for me every time.

EVERY TIME.

SS

Back