Regarding ribbon cable...

pLover

Apparently plover is a type of bird.
...If a few strands of the wire are gone, will the connections still work just fine? A few little stands of the greyish-copperish wire strands (under the insulation) were cut off, when I was stripping the insulation, and I was wondering if the ribbon cable would still work.

Depends on how many wires are gone if its just 1 or 2 I am like 100% sure its fine. If its not nothing will happen, only that there won't be enough voltage going through the wire.

If its more than 3-5 I am pretty sure no since thats like the whole wire.

Wait for confirmation though

designer noob said:
Depends on how many wires are gone if its just 1 or 2 I am like 100% sure its fine. If its not nothing will happen, only that there won't be enough voltage going through the wire.

If its more than 3-5 I am pretty sure no since thats like the whole wire.

I AM LIKE 100% SURE YOU ARE FOOLISH AND ARE NOT THINKING YOUR POSTS THROUGH

It's not the amount that matters - First off, what is this ribbon cable going to? Second, it depends on which wires were cut. Often there are redundant wires intended to just reduce signal noise, so it might be just fine. Try checking which wires were cut, and seeing if they were important. Heck, just power the thing on and give it a try.

lol, why am I foolish. Wire is made out of copper. You have like 6-7 strands of copper wire per wire. All the six to seven wires are touching so, its like one big wire that carries voltage. The smaller the wire the less voltage it will carry right? So, if more strands are taken off the smaller it becomes. Meaning the wire won't carry enough voltage to turn on the SNES.

Also, I like how I am the only one answering and then when ever I made a mistake they all pop in and tell me I am retarted.

Because I think they're the retarded ones. Maybe not in terms of knowing their stuff, but in terms of logic.

designer noob said:
lol, why am I foolish. Wire is made out of copper. You have like 6-7 strands of copper wire per wire. All the six to seven wires are touching so, its like one big wire that carries voltage. The smaller the wire the less voltage it will carry right? So, if more strands are taken off the smaller it becomes. Meaning the wire won't carry enough voltage to turn on the SNES.

Also, I like how I am the only one answering and then when ever I made a mistake they all pop in and tell me I am retarted.

Nobody ever said you were retarded. I had assumed that this ribbon cable wouldn't be just carrying voltage - why the Heck would you use a ribbon cable to carry nothing but voltage? All he did was start a new topic, and say "the ribbon cable". I even asked what the purpose of the cable was. For a ribbon carrying data, the amount of cables is not relevant to the chance of it working. He isn't talking about a normal cable, but a ribbon cable. I hope you know what a ribbon cable is.

Also, you can cary voltage on a single thin strand of wire, just the reliability drops.

EDIT: So in re-reading the thread, I noticed that neither of you know what the devil a ribbon cable is. You are referring to a stranded cable, composite cable, or many other names, that means it is a lot of small wires wrapped together. As long as the cable is secure, the amount of wires that are still intact does not matter, but I'd try to keep the amount that are cut to a minimum.

A ribbon cable is that flat crap that is easy to break and hard to solder to. Get your stuff straight before either of you mouth off about other people being "retarded."

Back