Redmagnus' Cheap, Quick Audio Amplifier Guide

RedmagnusX

Hello all,

I decided to make a guide for an audio amplifier that I've used in a few of my projects now. Following this simple guide should have your audio amplifier prepped and ready to be installed in your project.

The amplifier in this guide comes from these HDMX GOXL Portable Speakers. They can be purchased at your local Walmart for $9.99. :cool:

These speakers are very easy to open up. Simply unzip the case and pry open the top half that contains the speakers and amplifier. Once pried open, there will be 4 screws that need to be removed.

Once inside, you will have to desolder all the connections to free the amplifier.

Once free, the amplifier should look like this.

Okay, now it's time to get down to the nitty gritty. You'll notice 3 tact switches on the amplifier. One is for power and the other two are for volume up and volume down respectively. Desolder them for now and put them aside. Now, there's a capacitor that can be removed as it will no longer be needed due to the alternate wiring for power that we will be using. It is the one circled in the picture below.

Once all those components are removed, your board should look something like the picture below. Now, we can trim the board a bit to make some space. Just follow the line I've drawn in the picture below.

Once cut, your board should look like what's pictured below. I've labeled all the relocation points in the picture as well. It's important to note the relocation for the power input. With that relocation, the audio amplifier will turn on when given power, therefore bypassing the power button.

I totally cut more off that PCB and it still works. Just have to make sure all your grounds are connected.

I was thinking, at one time, of a way to make it even smaller with a custom PCB.

Thank you man, it helps me a lot, gonna buy it soon ;)
But I just have a question, it's my first gamecube mod and I don't know where I can get 5V on a rev C board, could you help me please :oops:

Re:

DuHasst0 said:
I totally cut more off that PCB and it still works. Just have to make sure all your grounds are connected.

I was thinking, at one time, of a way to make it even smaller with a custom PCB.

Yea, I know you can cut more off and I have done so myself, but I wanted to make this guide safe and simple for most people; you know? I cut off a good portion of the left side and a bit of the top off. The annoying thing is really how the board is organized, so making a custom PCB will definitely make things smaller and simpler.

nass95100 said:
Thank you man, it helps me a lot, gonna buy it soon ;)
But I just have a question, it's my first gamecube mod and I don't know where I can get 5V on a rev C board, could you help me please :oops:

You're very welcome. :D

As far as I know, you can get 5 volts from a few places on the revision C. One of them being from the 5v line that the controllers use for rumble. Another source is from the optical drive port as pictured below.

I like to take voltage from the regulators if using custom switching regulators. But if your using the stock regulator RedmagnusX is right on the money.

That amp is another thing I have to dig out but I will find that too. Rearrange some things on that board. See if I can't get it to turn on with the system. Only issue I every had.

Re:

DuHasst0 said:
I like to take voltage from the regulators if using custom switching regulators. But if your using the stock regulator RedmagnusX is right on the money.

That amp is another thing I have to dig out but I will find that too. Rearrange some things on that board. See if I can't get it to turn on with the system. Only issue I every had.

Yup, that's how I wire my amp too. Directly to the 5v Regulator. Since he was using a revision C, I assumed he would be using the stock regulator, since that's the only real reason to use that board revision. This amp can also run on 3.3 volts as well, but I find the drop in sound quality makes it not worth it.

Cool amp, I've been playing around with one to potentially use in a new GCP. My only problem with it is that it's not very loud. I'm sure it would be fine for a quiet room, but in a moderately noisy public area it's barely audible. Anyone else experience the same?

(Pic of mine for no particular reason)
osBBgAi.jpg

I agree, it's very quiet. Also, it uses digital pots which can be really annoying to integrate. I would personally go for something like a pam8043.

zack said:
Cool amp, I've been playing around with one to potentially use in a new GCP. My only problem with it is that it's not very loud. I'm sure it would be fine for a quiet room, but in a moderately noisy public area it's barely audible. Anyone else experience the same?

I've already used this amp in 3 portables and they're actually fairly loud for me. This may seem like a silly question, but are you sure you're turning up the volume all the way? I ask because it can take a couple seconds of holding the volume up button down for it to get to its max volume.

Yep. I used it in my WiiPad and it was pretty faint. Had to max it out to really hear it. Are you giving it more than 5v or something?

Nope. I'm giving it 5 volts straight from the regulator. Maybe it's the speakers? They could be the wrong values? Maybe try keeping the second capacitor? IDK.

Bush said:
I agree, it's very quiet. Also, it uses digital pots which can be really annoying to integrate. I would personally go for something like a pam8043.
8403*
Also, how does that sound? It seemed to have a very high amount of total harmonic distortion, but maybe that's because I'm used to reading specs for high-powered apps.

Back