Record Break Attempt

I am currently in the process of obtaining my own 3d printer, and with this for help in case making I am planning on trying to shoot for the smallest gamecube portable(has batteries). With that though I have some questions:

1. would the volume dimensions be that of the devise or that of the space required to contain the devices. IE: small section for batteries or fan out the back. does that add just its own volume or add to total space volume
2. Is ashen's gamcube fusion rev 3 still the record holder at 95mm x 192mm x 30mm? total volume: 547200mm^3. If this is not the current record holder for battery powered portable and i missed something, what is the dimensions of the current record holder?

If that is the smallest still I have 2 different designes based off of my first question that reduce the volume by either 10% or 15%/0% based on how we define a portables volume. I will be drafting these designs in solidworks tonight and should have some pictures up later. I would like to have an idea of what i need to shoot for before i get to far along so that it won't be a smallest-ish portable, but rather THE smallest.

Either way it will be based off of a gameboy dmg/color style verticle profile and have a 3.5in screen.

More info to follow!

The hardest part about making a tiny portable isn't making the case, but making everything fit in the case. The rest of your skills better be up to the challenge as well.

1. Who cares. Smallest is relative. Ooohhh I have the smallest GCP, but it has a 1" screen, yea but mine is the smallest with a 5" screen, yea but mine is the smallest with the DD in it.
See it means nothing. It's a useless title and goal.

2. A well built easy to use and good looking portable is better than a crappy hard to use small one.

hailrazer said:
1. Who cares. Smallest is relative. Ooohhh I have the smallest GCP, but it has a 1" screen, yea but mine is the smallest with a 5" screen, yea but mine is the smallest with the DD in it.

2. A well built easy to use and good looking portable is better than a crappy hard to use small one.

I agree 100%

hailrazer said:

LMAO
...very well put

hailrazer said:

why can't he do both? if that is the goal, I say go for it.

Because there is no goal. The goal itself is BS because it has no parameters or set guidelines.

Just concentrate on building a quality portable and forget the ego bullcrap.

hailrazer said:
Because there is no goal. The goal itself is BS because it has no parameters or set guidelines.

Ones agian i agree this post with 100%

hailrazer said:

Yeah that's all good and true but I mean just let him accomplish what he wants to accomplish you know? He's just trying to make the smallest portable gamecube just because he can and why not? Sure it doesn't matter compared to the quality of the portable, but it's just a fun thing to try and challenge yourself to do and why not.

And you apparently don't understand a word I have said .

He can't make "the smallest Gamcube portable". The title is meaningless because there are so many variables.

Let him do what he wants? Sure who cares . But he can't do something that can't be done because it it's not possible.

hailrazer said:
And you apparently don't understand a word I have said .

He can't make "the smallest Gamcube portable". The title is meaningless because there are so many variables.

Let him do what he wants? Sure who cares . But he can't do something that can't be done because it it's not possible.

There aren't that many variables as you make it out to be. I mean. Yeah there's screen size and stuff like that but he's aiming to make the smallest portable with a 3.5 inch screen. All he or anybody else has to do is find all the 3.5 inch portables, and then find the one with the smallest dimensions. I'm assuming this is not including thickness, because that's just kind of logical in this case.

And is it the smallest with a DD drive, smallest with built in memory card or plug in one, smallest with batteries that last 10 minutes or 4 hours. Smallest with controller ports , av out, headphones etc.

As I said the title is meaningless and just an ego trip that is worthless to anyone with sense.

hailrazer said:
And is it the smallest with a DD drive, smallest with built in memory card or plug in one, smallest with batteries that last 10 minutes or 4 hours. Smallest with controller ports , av out, headphones etc.

As I said the title is meaningless and just an ego trip that is worthless to anyone with sense.

Smallest. Just smallest. Let him decide what he wants in it and all of that, if he wants the smallest with the most function, or whatever. Just don't call it 'ego bullflax' and an 'ego trip' because that's discouraging and kind of rude. Let him do what he wants and let him decide how he wants to do it without discouraging him.

Why don't you stop telling me what to do?

I'll call it what it is . Bs . You don't like it then stay out of the thread. Who appointed you the feelings police?

If my stating my opinion discourages him then I doubt he was cut out to build it anyway.

Don't flame me but I am pretty sure there is only one way to get the smallest GCP, it is with minimalist components, and definitely no DVD drive. Then he has to decide if he wants batteries.

But I understand hails position, he is saying that there are variables to consider, but I think mainly the screen and batteries are the only real ones to consider. Because to make the smallest and at least a little comfortable GCP, you can't have a disc drive and must be WKF. notice I said GCP, some people have made some very nice portables with DVD built in.

v-- Too much reading? Main point here --v
So OP must set certain goals and aim for the smallest of that tier.

there is no written record for a smallest GCP. Im sure someone somewhere has made a fantastically slim one without posting it on the internet...

No, that's not the point at all. And I doubt that, it's not like this hobby is intensely popular.

The point is that GCp's are so varied in features that it becomes difficult to classify size.

Back