Recent DNS Issues and Downtime

Zero

ModRetro Legend
Administrator
As some of you may be aware, our host has been having some DNS issues recently and sometimes the site may become unconnectable for a couple hours. This can happen to different people at different times, and we're currently trying to find a solution so that we can fix it as soon as possible. In the meantime, the workaround is to change your DNS to one of the many free ones available (usually better than your ISP's DNS too) if you are encountering this problem often.

Here is a list of some of the more popular DNSs and their IPs:

Google: 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4
Verizon: 4.2.2.1 & 4.2.2.2
OpenDNS: 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220
(personally, I was still getting the error sometimes with OpenDNS, but try it if the others give you issues)

Changing your DNS in Windows | Changing your DNS in Mac OS X

We're sorry for the inconvenience, and we'll try and get this solved as quickly as we can.

hay zero,
nice DNS trick :)
i had trouble accessing MD forums for some days now,
your DNS trick worked,
on my imac i added the opendns with the two dns numbers, switched my current dns numbers with the opendns ones and boom,
md loads up fine every time, if not just add and use a new dns number.

thanx for this awesome meantime fix, zero :)
i was getting rather angry at not being able to access md forums to update my ps2p worklog, make comments on my posts, check PM's etc :(.

i hope the downtime problem is fixed sometime.

gamer

OpenDNS also redirects google searches from firefox's address bar to some shoddy alternative ._.
Google DNS is the best bet.

That's because it checks for a URL from the address bar, nothing else.

Antome said:
OpenDNS also redirects google searches from firefox's address bar to some shoddy alternative ._.
Google DNS is the best bet.

If your browser doesn't let you search straight from the address bar, then it's up to the DNS to redirect you. Most (including your ISP's) will usually redirect you to a custom google search result page. I believe google's DNS defaults to doing the same thing as an "I'm feeling lucky" search and just takes you automatically to whatever the first result would be. It's just a matter of preference, but most browsers usually handle it themselves nowadays.

what i do, is when one of the DNS's I've added don't work for me to access MD forums, i just switch back to mine DNS or another one i have added,
this way i can access md forums for sure.

This definitely did the trick for me.

Also, you can change your DNS settings on a rooted Android device by using an app called Set DNS. Download and run it, grant it Superuser permissions. The default DNS setting it gives is Google's, so just hit "Apply" and go on your merry way.

If you set your Honeycomb (not sure about others) device to static IP in the settings, you can change it.
However, stock Android versions only run a trial version of SetDNS.

I was totally losing it LOL.. I thought MD went down, I was able to come on MD with proxy browse and stumbled upon this here clear explanation YEAY what a relief, Thank you ZERO, google DNS brings up MD right away. Hope you guy's figure out what is causing the host to have dns issues :)

For future reference, if the main url stops working, you can also try "forum.modretro.com"

This should be put on the front page (modretro. Com), because I was able to access that Site but not the forums.

Update

Okay, I just did something that should fix this once and for all. It should take 1-3 days for the new DNS information to propagate, but if any of you are still getting the error after that point, please let me know.

flaxs been fixed here. I only had problems on my phone whilst on 3G though.

Back