Psone Screen Trouble

Spoleyo

So I have a psone screen I connect to junk I find that I get interested in and like to hook up to a tiny screen, and then eventually remove it. I usually go for small Atari remakes that run off AAs and have the video and audio chords. So I wired up my screen like I have in the past and then replaced the old batteries (dead) with 4 new ones, standard 1.5 volts. They were in a battery pack so obviously they would give off 6V. The pack said 8V on the casing, but me not thinking anything of it I wired it up anyway. I flicked the switch and the Atari remake powered on along with the LED, and I heard a click from the screen and nothing. I go to flip over the screen to see what's up after I power it off and one of the chips was scorching got. Rather than opening up the game and desoldering the wires, I left it alone and within the next 8 hours the batteries were completely drained. I'm assuming my psone screen is fried, but I have no idea how it happened. I have done this twice before no problem, and even if the battery pack gave off 8V it still wouldn't fry the screen. Does anyone have any ideas on how my screen could have gotten fried?

And the chip continued to be VERY hot throughout the 8 hours.

Thanks
Spoleyo

Back