PS3 3.21 Firmware Update: Other OS Removed...

Not really an issue. Soon to be fixed anyway.

Sucks for people that already updated though.

xXPunisher24Xx said:
It's ridiculous because its an update that takes away a feature instead of adding new ones. It's more like a downgrade.
which is why I've decided I'll probably never buy a sony device. Can't trust the company.

I broke my PS2
i'm pissed at how my PS3 can apparently cure cancer, but cant play some of my favourite games.

Sony did indeed make a retarded and hasty decision, however I can see why they did it. Seeing how piracy "supposedly" affected the PSP, its natural for them to overact and remove the whole feature, not wanting the same thing to happen to the PS3. Also, from a business standpoint they really weren't making any money keeping BC in their consoles, so they had to nix it to save some cash. I have one of the 80gb PS3s that no longer had any PS2 BC and although it sucks that I can't play my PS2 games upscaled to 1080p, I luckily still have my old PS2 hooked up via component with a 160gb HDD and HDLoader. Tbh, they probably should have just went with full PS2 software emulation from the beginning, then there would be no reason current PS3s couldn't have BC. Regardless, I'm sure there will eventually be a way to regain the Other OS feature on all phat PS3s with the speed the "PS3 Scene" is moving.

At least it was obvious why they removed PS2 supports (to sell more PS2s). But there doesn't seem to be any reason to remove this.

My best friend has a PS3, but he doesn't use it for anything like this anyway.

I have given up on current gen consoles. About a week ago, I traded my PS3 for a gamecube and PS2. My PS3 didn't have any good games out, both my 360s RROD'ed, and since I now own a gamecube, I have no reason to buy a Wii.

Following that logic, I bet that's how Sony came to remove the Memory Stick reader from the PSP.

"OMG ppl ar installing cfw using memoery stix we must get rid of the mmorys tic reeder!!1!one!"

Update: I've just came to notice that a significant majority of "unlucky" Ps3 users have had more problems with this firmware other than the removal of other os option. Some people are getting the "red screen of death" And the recovery menu options aren't even working because of the "faulty" firmware. These problems may have surfaced because of Sony trying to quickly respond to geohots hacks.

Hopefully we can get the other os option back even if we updated to 3.21 because there may be many more "holes" or exploits in the firmware because of Sony's quick impulsive decision.

Back