PS2P Gameboy style Worklog (18/8/13) (WIP)

Gamerlolwind

hay everyone,
gamer here.

22/10/12

on friday i looked at my wii's black case i kept (my second wii)
and thought i can make my ps2p smaller than the fat model i had (beeny) and it in the case.

so, i'll use a ps2 slim model (freecmboot compatible) and load games via usb or DD (if need be):

Features of Gameboy style case:

+ pS2 slim version (SCH 75001)
+ Custom made cardboard case with screws/mounts etc.
+ Freecmboot (sony 8mb card) slot 1 and 128mb memory card in slot 2
+ 3.5 inch LCD ebay screen
+ AV cable
+ ps2 dual shock official controller bulit in player 1 (modded to fit on case), player 2 external.
+ No battery pack
+ Power adapter (custom made) for playing from wallpower (both for PS2 and Screen)

that's it really.

coming soon...

PS2P (Black Charcoal Pirate) slim version Worklog (22/10/12)

If their is some way to get VGA (RGBHV) on the Ps2, then I would recommend a Dalian 5" "Good Display". I am using one for my GCP with the component cable because it's the best picture quality. Ashen's PS2 portable has VGA I think so I'm sure it's possible. Good luck and can't wait to see some progress.

Re: PS2P (Black Charcoal Pirate) slim version Worklog (22/10

zeldaxpro said:
If their is some way to get VGA (RGBHV) on the Ps2, then I would recommend a Dalian 5" "Good Display". I am using one for my GCP with the component cable because it's the best picture quality. Ashen's PS2 portable has VGA I think so I'm sure it's possible. Good luck and can't wait to see some progress.

yeah, great idea :) zeldaxpro :)
thanx for the tip.

a Dalian 5" "Good Display" would be great for my ps2p, as I'm not including a tv out option this time, so having VGA qulaty over av is like playing your portable system on tv settings, but in actually fact, your playing on a portable with tv like quality. :)

sweet, eh?

also, where's a "good" site/place to buy a dalian good display for a good price? if possible i mean.

yeah, im getting a ps2 slim model soon from amazon uk, so then i can test it out before sending it for commission. slim models are FAR easier to open up and disassemble than FAT's. less junk and crap inside slims than fat :)

thanx, and stay tuned for more here.

I got mine from alibaba/aliexpress and the total was $99.00. I know it's really expensive but the quality is just amazing. Just for a heads up though the ones they sell now have the new controller board, which require the screens to run at at least 9v+ which sucks. I contacted the supplier about the old controller board ones (which require at minimum 5v) and they had like 9 in stock. So it depends on what voltage you are using for batteries.

zeldaxpro said:
I got mine from alibaba/aliexpress and the total was $99.00. I know it's really expensive but the quality is just amazing. Just for a heads up though the ones they sell now have the new controller board, which require the screens to run at at least 9v+ which sucks. I contacted the supplier about the old controller board ones (which require at minimum 5v) and they had like 9 in stock. So it depends on what voltage you are using for batteries.

Yeah that does suck,
Thanx for the sites, but I'm not so sure, are they safe?
I don't like the fact that they don't use PayPal as a payment option cause it's very safe for me to use that to buy stuff online.

Can I buy this dalian screen from a site that uses PayPal as a payment method?

I paid with my PayPal on Alibaba it's all depends on what the seller. I bought it from the official Dalian company on Alibaba and the representative I talked to was Lisa Wang. Its not like a "normal" site but it is legit to a certain point. It all depends on the seller.

26/12/12

did some work on the case for the portable.

IMG_0920.jpg

removed the screw holes etc to save space and make the ps2 slim unit fit in the wii case.

i ordered today the ps2 slim unit from amazon com, an NSTC unit form 2007, portably a SCH-7xxx seires unit, prefect for Free mc boot.

and i also ordered a ps2 128mb card from amazon uk along with a ps2 ac european adapter, since i think the us one will not work on european wallower and possibly fry itself (not the ps2 unit).

i'll be loading games form my 64gb usb via Openps2loader, so i probably won't need DD.

i'll keep it anyways, in any case.

more when i receive the ps2 stuff from amazon com/uk

Re: PS2P (Black Charcoal Pirate) slim version Worklog (26/12

23/1/13

received PS2 unit (Ntsc) from the posy office today, had to pick it up myself. works great. it's a 75001, perfect :) it works with FreeMCbboot.

i had to re softmod it again via the Memor32 guide trick, since my previous memory card mod was pal, so it doesn't work on an nstc console :(.

http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/memor32.php

nevermind, the memor32 card is the easiest way to softmod a ps2. if you want a modded ps2,
get a memor32 card you won't regret it i promise :awesome:

now my ps2 is softmoded on an 8MB sony card and it can run apps like ESR/HD loader/SMS/OPL.

disk drive:

IMG_0967.jpg

eek, so small :awesome:

ps2 SCH 75001 unit:

IMG_0968.jpg

i'll keep DD for now. but thanx to freemcboot i can run all my games from usb stick (64gb) through OPL 0.9.1. Heck yeah :mrgreen:

Re: PS2P (Black Charcoal Pirate) slim version Worklog (23/1/

i challenge you to have the DD and both USB and make a inerchagable ps1 mem card to ps2 mem card and also to make it confortable :awesome:

Re: PS2P (Black Charcoal Pirate) slim version Worklog (23/1/

thecasperrojas said:
i challenge you to have the DD and both USB and make a inerchagable ps1 mem card to ps2 mem card and also to make it confortable :awesome:

yep, thanx for the tip, casper :)
I'm keeping the DVD drive swell and i'll extend it using the cables here, if i can get them somehow:

http://kyorune.com/modding/article.php?id=64

also, no battery pack as the ps2 needs 8.5v which is tricky to do etc (the first slim i had, i burnt out using a 9v pack :( )

also, the name has changed and it's case etc.

more work has been done, will post soon...

Re: PS2P Gameboy style Worklog (11/3/13)

Updated first post specs, starting work on ps2p again and more soon...

19/6/13

got a ps2 controller from public speedlink brand for 9.99$.

it's third party, so no membrane thing attached like official ps2 controller (which doesn't help at all for reallocating the L1/L2 & R1/R2 buttons.

more soon.

Let's finish this awesome portable! No dd!

Re: PS2P Gameboy style Worklog (19/6/13)

6/7/13

some pics:

a radioshack adapter that connects from my x-mini 1.1v audio amp to the L/R of the AV cable of the ps2! perfect connection!

a second X-mini v1.1 amp i got for 17.90 euro.
the same amp i also used for my GCP project. stereo type :)
the one on my gcp had heavy modding, this one only a better wire for the speaker.

works perfectly on my ps2! now i just need to add a headphone jack part and it's golden.

some modding i did to my speed link controller, i.e.:

+ removed the bottom shell half completely (saves space for mounting)
+ extended the two rumbles (for back placement on the ps2)
+ cut the handles down to size to match the height of my controller (using a garden cutter)

my controller looks great now,
i just need to extend the L1/L2 & R1/R2 boards with IDE wires (for back placement on the ps2).

more soon...

Re: PS2P Gameboy style Worklog (6/7/13)

11/7/13

i got a headphone jack and some audio wire and using a diagram i made, soldered the wires to the headphone jack.

now, i'll cut the audio jack cable from the audio amp and test the wires out to see which wire goes with what, then solder em together, and headphone jack on audio amp!

and after that mod is done, then i'll extend the L/R parts of the ps2 controller with IDE wire!

and then, start mounting stuff in the case etc..

oh!, i started adding stuff to the case, charge jack, AV cable etc.

more soon!

Re: PS2P Gameboy style Worklog (11/7/13)

16/7/13

hay guys,
i tested my headphone jack mod and it works!
it's really easy to mod, just three wires to solder together.

anyways, during my testing i discovered that the headphone jack i soldered on my amp works even when the amp is turned off (it has an On/Off switch) which is cool :awesome:

now i have to just extend & solder the L/R's wires with IDE wire.

then i have to mount everything. mounting tape/PVC tape/cardboard/masking tape etc.

Re: PS2P Gameboy style Worklog (16/7/13)

24/7/13

okay, after some hard soldering with very thin wire from the trigger (l)
i managed to extend & solder the L's wires with IDE wire.

will do the R trigger soon.

Re: PS2P Gameboy style Worklog (24/7/13) (WIP)

30/7/13

R trigger is done,
I tested out the trigger extentsion mods and they work.

Need to fix some things on controller like adding a analog cap on the l analog as with a cap the down position sticks and Charater in game moves slowly than other positions (I added a screw in place and this fixed the slow issue, but I need a cap to fit the scre now, lol)

Anyways, the hardest part is away from this portable, so now that the controller mod is done I can finish the ps2p with mounting casework (easy, but need mounting tape teas a mirror stuff)

Portable coming soon when mounting is done!

Re: PS2P Gameboy style Worklog (30/7/13) (WIP)

Hay guys, it's been a very few days now,
I didn't like my setup (case wise ) and changed the whole setup to a new custom made case from scratch.

The new case works better and I used it from the box that Lyberty5 sent me the GC wavebird batman controller I bought from him :).

So, I modded the case, and tested my ps2 in it, works like a charm.
I've done 90% of the work for it. So now it is ready, just need to spray paint it with Emerald paint.

Also. From my l/r modding to the ps2 controller I had, it messed up a lot, so I had to buy another one.

The controller I'm using now is a official one. I mounted it and hot glue molded it etc.

Works great. :)

Also added a extended potemeter for my amp. :)

More soon..

Re: PS2P Gameboy style Worklog (13/8/13) (WIP)

Hay guys,
Everything regarding the ps2 is ready,

I just sprayed the case tonight and now I'm waiting for it to dry completely.

Once that happens then I'll mount everything inside the case.

That's it really!

Back