ProSound Mod

N00BModdr

So I've been hearing alot about this ProSound mod for the GBC. What exactly is it, what does it do?

It's a freakin' GBC, it's got freakin' 16-bit freakin' sound, you don't need a freakin' ProSound mod to hear your freakin' BOOPs more clearly.

RAGE RAGE RAGE

N00BModdr, I've kindly walked you through numerous questions since you first came here, so please listen very carefully when I say: Don't ever ProSound mod a CGB.

ßeta said:
It's a freakin' GBC, it's got freakin' 16-bit freakin' sound, you don't need a freakin' ProSound mod to hear your freakin' BOOPs more clearly.

RAGE RAGE RAGE

Actually a GBC is 8-bit, not 16-bit.

Anyway, AFAIK the ProSound mod involves either adding another speaker or an audio out, and I think an amplifier too.

ßeta said:

RAGE RAGE RAGE

Yay you don't know what you're talking about, woo! The sound doesn't have a clear bitrate, being entirely synthesized. 8-bit, and especially 16-bit, though, are all incorrect.

ProSound is just a very stupid way of saying "Line level output", and it removes the buzz and hum that one hears through the amplified headphone jack.

jleemero said:
N00BModdr, I've kindly walked you through numerous questions since you first came here, so please listen very carefully when I say: Don't ever ProSound mod a CGB.

Bibin said:
ProSound is just a very stupid way of saying "Line level output", and it removes the buzz and hum that one hears through the amplified headphone jack.
Gotcha...scratch one ProSound mod :happy:

XCVG said:
ßeta said:

RAGE RAGE RAGE

Actually a GBC is 8-bit, not 16-bit.

Anyway, AFAIK the ProSound mod involves either adding another speaker or an audio out, and I think an amplifier too.
The GBC is a 16-bit system, but it looks and feels 8-bit. Being 16-bit just makes it run faster, ammiright?

themadhacker said:
it's 8-bit
new avatar! anyway, are you sure? I'm pretty positive its 16-bit, cause the story I heard goes like this: Nintendo wanted to create a color, light-weight, long-battery life system, that was 32-bit, to sell more than the gamegear. (the gamegear was color, but heavy and short battery life, and 8-bit). They achieved every goal except 32-bit. That would have put the release time way, way behind schedule. So they settled for 16-bit, and the 32-bit was achieved with the GBA. Thats just what i heard...

THE GAMEBOY COLOR IS AN 8-BIT SYSTEM.
JUST LIKE THE GAMEBOY, AND THE GAMEBOY POCKET.

THE GAMEBOY ADVANCE WAS A 32-BIT SYSTEM.

THIS IS FACT.
PERIOD.

"Bits" are generally used as a measure of Data-Bus width.
To be honest, measuring a system by "bits" is bloody stupid, because Data-Bus width won't actually affect, oh, graphics, gameplay, etc.
All that is decided other ways.
"Bits" are stupid.

jleemero said:
THE GAMEBOY COLOR IS AN 8-BIT SYSTEM.
JUST LIKE THE GAMEBOY, AND THE GAMEBOY POCKET.

THE GAMEBOY ADVANCE WAS A 32-BIT SYSTEM.

THIS IS FACT.
PERIOD.
Well, I was half-right... :whoops:

themadhacker said:
it's 8-bit

The Game Boy Color is 8-bit, yes. Let's clarify:

BIBIN'S BIT TIME!

The GB and GB Color series are 8-bit. This is because the CPU, and the bus, are both 8-bit.
The graphics are 2-bit. This means that there can be 4 possible color combos per 8x8 tile of a sprite or background (for sprites, the first entry is transparent).
The sound is a bit of a tossup, but is likely 2, 4, or 8-bit.

The SNES is 16-bit due to the nature of its CPU and bus.
The graphics are 4-bit, meaning 16 possible color entries per sprite or background tile (same transparency rule applies here)
The sound is 16-bit, NOT because the CPU is 16-bit but because the sound chip happens to be 16-bit. The SNES can only output sound via the SPC at 32000hz, though.

The Nintendo 64 is 32-bit, because although the CPU is 64-bit, the bus is 32-bit, limiting its capabilities.
The graphics are rendered in 16-bit color, and aren't so clearly bit defined.
The sound is 16-bit, CD quality, and is capped at 44000hz, the CD quality standard. This hasn't changed since then.

Back