Presenting the apple I-Track (I made engadget!)

themadhacker

Crazy Train
Well some of you may remember me messing around with my 8 track player and making and audio in adapter for it like those you see for cassette players. I completed it and it worked quite well, however, it looked a bit cheap and I didn't want an ugly wire dangling from the 8 track shell. so I finally solved this problem today. I bought a second gen ipod nano from a friend and hardwired it into the adapter. It has a headphone jack on the side in case I want to listen to tunes without the 8 track player and I have put in a female usb port so I don't have to go hunting for my ipod cord all the time. it is not the prettiest of things, but I very much like it the way it is.

Unfortunately my camera needs batteries, so pics (and video)....tomorrow.

Re: Presenting the apple I-Track (video is now up)

This is cool. Great you got it working!

:eek: That is the coolest thing I have ever seen... ever.

Neat! I never knew what 8-tracks actually looked like until that vid though. And on a side note, you look way different than what I thought you would look like. Lol.

But I'm derailing. Cool, if a little odd, device. How's the sound quality.

sound quality is great. In casee anybody wants to do this, make sure you use an 8 track player head instead of a cassette deck head. They line up to the other head better, which gives a much better sound quality. The only thing that some people who are used to everything being digital may find annoying is that at very quiet parts of the song, you hear a faint steady hissing. People who listen to cassette tapes (and of course, 8 tracks) on a regular basis know what I mean by the hissing noise. Nothing bothersome unless, as I already stated, you are a digital lady.

Digital ladies and their iTunes pimp daddies...

This is awesome!

And I agree that you look different than I expected. :p

How did you think I looked? I have pictures in the show us yourself thread, ya know.

oh, and something funny to tell you all. Three people at school saw the beach boys label and asked if it only played beach boys music.

Makes me wish the 8-track player in my old Mini wasn't broken :(

Neato!

Adding to the "Other" megasticky.

ShockSlayer said:
How does it work?

SS

*Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing miracles.

2wcjfap.jpg

He either wired the head of an audio-input cassette to the iPod's headphone jack or it's audio out pins on the dock connector.

Why not make the ipod detachable so you dont need to carry it all around? Other than that great work!

banditpaw1 said:
Why not make the ipod detachable so you dont need to carry it all around? Other than that great work!
Because than it would be like that thing they did on PMR.

And that's lame.

Back