Powering a DMG without perishable batteries?

_Maple

Newb
Hey there. I don't know much about batteries / power. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Batteries:
I recently got a DMG and am planning on modding it. I had a question or so in relation to powering it though, before I go out and waste my money. I've seen that you can simply connect the + to the - of battery slots with a paperclip to complete the circuit, and then put one or 2 batteries in free slots to give it enough power. I've also read that it can be damaging to go over 7v input, and also not power enough to have under 3v input. So, I'm trying to figure out how best to power this thing. Am I able to simply put in a rechargeable AA sized 3.7v li-ion battery in one of the slots and then complete the circuit by adding a paperclip or something between the other 3 slots? Should that be enough power? (I'd probably not go by the paperclip option though. It would be cleaner to wire that up inside the case properly.) If this isn't possible, am I able to simply use 3 or 4 rechargeable 1.5v AA batteries? Or could I even have 1 AA-sized 3.7v li-ion with 1 1.5v AA battery to get as close to 5v as possible? Or what other options to I have? (I'd rather not use the official rechargeable nickel cadmium battery pack). Can these batteries be charged whilst in the DMG using a power adapter?

Power Adapter:
I checked out the DMG DC adapter specifications and ended up with a AC/DC power adapter with these specifications:
-Input: AC 100~240V 50/60Hz
-Output: DC 6V 1000mA
-OD: 3.5 mm
-ID: 1.1 mm
-Polarity: inner (+) / outer (-)
I know I'm going to have to cut the cord and reverse the polarity, but other than that, is this ok? One more question: it has a US plug thingy. The thing that connects to the wall. Because it can be plugged into the wall either way, I'm wondering if that would have an affect on the polarity.

Thanks again, in advance.

A single AA sized lithium should work, if you can find such a thing. Do NOT mix it with alkalines, that is a recipe for disaster. Then again, I'm not a DMG expert, so the voltage may be insufficient. Four AA rechargeables (NiCd or Ni-Mh) should work for sure.

If you're going to mod the gameboy at all, though, you might as well rip out the battery bay and install a proper lithium mod.

Back