Post your PC Specs!

grossaffe said:
XCVG said:
24GB caching SSD (I have no idea what it is)

It's an SSD used as another layer of the memory hierarchy. After Registers, Cache, and RAM, now you have the SSD before getting into the slower HDD.

I know what it does, I was talking about model and such. I don't know if it's a Sandisk or an Intel or some cheap no-name from China, how many IOPS or what data rate it gets.

grossaffe said:
If those SSDs are supposedly bad, you might want to consider a raid 1 instead of a raid 0. SSDs already have quite the performance boost to them and from what I've read, putting them in RAID 0 doesn't offer much of a real-world performance boost, so you're mostly just doubling the risk of failure of the entire shared filesystem between the two, while with RAID 1 you'll be able to salvage your system should one of the drives fail.

I disagree. I have noticed a considerable performance increase going from the single Samsung to the raid0 OCZs. I've also been running on the raid0 on the OCZ for 4 months now and its been rock solid. I've never seen anybody who has used raid0 SSDs say the performance gain isn't there. I have in fact seen people using raid0 SSDs say the real world performance per dollar isn't there. Since I didn't pay for them it doesn't bother me that the performance per dollar is lower. If they fail I don't care either because reinstalling an OS on SSDs with a high end quad core takes less then 20 minutes. All my important data is on the mechanical anyway.

My theory on what caused the SSDs to be deemed bad is the thermostat in the server room malfunctioned on a cold winter night causing rapid, extreme temperature changes. We always seem to lose a mechanical hard drive or two every winter because of the cold. (I do realize theres moving parts in a mechanical that would be affected by the cold more than the nonmoving SSD.)

As a testament to the performance increase of the raided SSDs, four SSDs in raid5 on the server I could run 12 virtual machinces (ran out of memory, only 24gb) whereas on mechanical SATA2 you can only run 6 or so happily. I will admit that running a single computer off of raid0 SSDs is overkill, but you only live once.

Oh, I'd also like to add a note about my experience with RAID to this thread. I personally have found that while RAID is good for data loss prevention it is only really good for performance gains. If you have a RAID 1 or 5 system you will have most likely bought a set of matched drives. These matched drives will most likely have the same manufacture date, wear and tear, and the same thermal exposure. This means that when 1 drive fails EXPECT the rest to follow suite. I have seen several RAID5 systems lose a drive, so it is replaced and while the RAID is rebuilding two more die and all the data is lossed. If you have a drive in a RAID1 system die, drop everything and backup because you may only have hours of life left in the remaining drive(s). RAID 1 and 5 really only protect you from a drive that dies really early in its life due to poor quality control.

Don't get me wrong, I love RAID. If I had the money I would build the perfect system for data loss prevention (in my eyes). I would have two 4 disk RAID5 systems that would mirror each other with varying drive manufacture dates and possibly each 4 disk set from different manufacturers. I just prefer to use RAID0 and RAID5 for the performance benifits.

I never thought about that before, but it makes sense. I wonder if large enterprise with mission critical data build systems with mixed drives to counter that.

I'm sure that when you are dealing with massive amounts of hardrives you can begin to predict the average lifespan and replace the drives before their expiration dates.

*Revive*

NZXT Phantom 410 Mid Tower Case
AMD Quad Core 3.8ghz - soon to get a Eight Core 4 GHz
Cooler Master 310 CPU Cooler
Asrock Extreme 4 Mobo AM3+
EVGA GTX 660TI
Kingston Beast Ram 16 GB CL 10
Kingston Hyper x 90GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HHD
Lite On BR/DVD Drive
2x Corsair Air Series SP 120's Performance Edition
CM Storm QuickFire ten Keyless Mechanical Keyboard(blues)
Logitech G300 Mouse
2 moni's

MSI B85-G41
i5 4430
16GB PC3-12800 (4x4GB DDR3)
Old Sapphire ATI RadeonHD 5000
120GB SSD x2 (OSX 10.9, Windows 8.1) & 1TB Storage

Hmm, my gigabyte 770 is longer than that one. I have the same case, and mine reaches all the way into the hard drive racks. Hows that Corsair cooler working for you?

samjc3 said:
Hmm, my gigabyte 770 is longer than that one. I have the same case, and mine reaches all the way into the hard drive racks. Hows that Corsair cooler working for you?

It works fairly well. I used to hit 60 degrees under load on stock air, now it maxes at about 40. I have the stock fan set up to pull and exhaust out of the case- I want to get another NF-F12 but everyone is either out of stock or really expensive. I didn't have the mounting hardware to mount it in push configuration. Also, my fan curve is totally *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ed. It's normally pretty quiet but it is audible under load, and the fan whines annoyingly.

After I replaced the graphics card it cools better under mixed loads. Before, the hot air from the card would get sucked through the radiator, but now it gets blown out the back.

Also, is your Gigabyte card one with a custom cooler and board? I think this EVGA is reference except for the shroud. I thought about getting the one with the Titan cooler, but the only difference is the shroud, and though it's beautiful I didn't really have an extra $50 to blow on a shroud.

XCVG said:
It works fairly well. I used to hit 60 degrees under load on stock air, now it maxes at about 40.
I may very well have to look into that. Stock cooler on my i5 is bumping all the way to 79 under load these days. Needs to be replaced for sure.

XCVG said:
Also, is your Gigabyte card one with a custom cooler and board?

Yeah. Windforce and their bigass 450 watt power supply setup. Normally I'd have gone for an Asus or Evga, but for $360 out the door the week after the 770 launched, I'm not complaining.

I built this back in April, thought I posted it in here but I didn't:

i5-3550 3.3GHz, running at 3.9GHz w/Corsair H80 liquid cooler
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H mobo
Kingston HyperX 8GB RAM
EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST SuperClocked 2GB
Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
Thermaltake SP-750M PSU
Corsair Carbide 200R case

samjc3 said:
XCVG said:
It works fairly well. I used to hit 60 degrees under load on stock air, now it maxes at about 40.
I may very well have to look into that. Stock cooler on my i5 is bumping all the way to 79 under load these days. Needs to be replaced for sure.
I just got an H80 ($45 refurb from Newegg earlier this month). Dusty stock heatsink got up to 85C running IntelBurnTest, with the H80 it was in the low 50s (3.3 or 3.5GHz, can't remember). I now have it at 3.9GHz and it got to the low 60s, running F@H it stays under 60. It idles cooler than my hard drive. I would have gotten one months ago if I knew it would be this great.

samjc3 said:
Yeah. Windforce and their bigass 450 watt power supply setup.
*450w heat dissipation
Might as well post now since I remembered modretro existed for the first time in months.
Some decent change since last time, high temps from being under load.
CqBFUxy.png

And for the record, I think my 770s are longer than both of yours. :p

That has got to be cheating or something. Course I suppose I could fit more cards if I got rid of some harddrives, but if I did that then where would I keep my anime?

Noctuas really are awesome, and I wish I could get a few more NF-F12s. Everywhere I look they're either really expensive or out of stock.

http://i44.tinypic.com/14adh5h.png

Under mixed load, OCCT+prime95. The EVGA blower is awesome, it spits out a jet of hot air that feels like a hand dryer. CPU temps are much better than before, since the radiator isn't having GPU air sucked through it anymore. CPU is at stock clocks, both GPU and CPU have turbo enabled and at default targets. I might change the temp target to 70 degrees on the GPU, though, since 80 is just a little too hot for me. No HDD load.

And no, I didn't change my monitor, it's an EDID hack to enable passive 3D. You'd think an ASUS monitor targeted toward 3D gaming would be on the nVidia compatibility list, but no. Only two Acers and a Zalman are officially supported. This works fine though.

EDIT: Dang, ninja'd. Also, mine is way worse. There's a bare board jammed into the PCI express slot beside the video card and wrapped with electrical tape so it doesn't fall out. Also five SATA cables connected. One of them doesn't go to anything, but I can't remove it without pulling the graphics card and possible one of the hard drives.

XCVG said:
EDIT: Dang, ninja'd. Also, mine is way worse. There's a bare board jammed into the PCI express slot beside the video card and wrapped with electrical tape so it doesn't fall out. Also five SATA cables connected. One of them doesn't go to anything, but I can't remove it without pulling the graphics card and possible one of the hard drives.
Bare boards are classy and all, but I'd still maintain mine is worse. I'm running the stock CPU cooler, 6 SATA devices (4 HDD, 1 SSD, 1 DVD/RW), a 770 and a total of one case fan, set to 600rpm.
http://i.imgur.com/aGZVqxE.png

EDIT: Updated my cooling today. Replaced 2 fans, added 3 more, replaced stock intel with a corsair H55, and put in an NZXT analog fan controller.

RpoGUux.png

Top speccy shot is before, lower is after, coretemp reflects the past 6 hours or so. I don't quite understand the 8C minimum on Core 0, but I sure as Heck am not complaining. And that's with all the fans barely spinning, and the pump at about 30%.

Back