Portablizing a fat ps2

PKSYHR

In an attempt to save money and time, I am trying to gain as much information as possible about portableizing before I make this attempt. First how big is the fat ps2 motherboard? Second, is it possible to run it without disk drive connected and the momory card slot connected. I've chosen to use a fat ps2 motherboard because Most of the games I play are very cutscean centered, ie Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, and I've heard that using the USB loading has rather choppy cutseans.

I opologise for the spelling.

okay, first of all, the fat PS2 is, to put it delicately, not an ideal form factor to try and portablize. besides being very large, its power hungry, creates a lot more heat than it's slimline counterparts, and is just generally a bad idea for a handheld.

here is my advice to you:
find yourself a slim PS2 with the model number 70001, this revision of motherboard has a specialized hard drive mod called the automan mod, which allows it to load games from a hard drive the same way the fat ones can, at full speed, no choppy cut scenes or FMVs, just pure PS2 gaming bliss :)

if you would like to explore this option further, I'll post some more info

Really? Wow. Thanks. That's just what I was looking for. Anymore information would be greatly apreachieated. And thank you for the swift reply. Another question is the Disk drive mod work with a SATA drive?

here is a link to the mod parts, this particular version has built in SATA support, so you could feasibly use a notebook SSD and have load times beyond the dreams of avarice lol

http://www.maxdiypower.com/index.php?ma ... ucts_id=80

basically you just solder those two ribbon cables to various points on the board, which they are designed to line up with, so it really takes a lot of the guess work out of it

that's pretty much it.

I should also mention that this mod requires free mcboot to work, but you were probably gonna do that anyway lol

Wow thank you. This is just about all the info I needed. I'll start posting a worklog once I get everything.

Back