Portable wii questions and suggestions

Hello, it's been a while since i've posted here, in the past I tried to make a gamecube portable but after 2 boards seemingly fried for no reason I thought I should cut my losses and start simpler. I used some parts for that portable to make a raspberry pi portable which is basically done and turned out good.

Now I would like to make a wii portable, it seems simpler than a gamecube and has more compatibility. I have some (what I think are) cool ideas for it. I do not want a laptop, they always seem to turn out to clunky and I would prefer a more traditional portable either like a psp/wiiu gamepad or like a gameboy. for the controls I would like limited built in controls. My initial plan is to have 1 layout (gamecube style) on it then have switches to switch between what it will be acting as going from gamecube, pro controller, and simple wii remote. any controller trimming info would be great to know, my gamecube controller is third part and pretty small, and trimmable, not sure about wii remote or pro controller though. I might just have a built in gamecube controller and wii remote since most games seem to support gamecube or pro controller then I can just have a pro controller port on it for the games that don't. I'm still coming up with ideas and I'll see what I can do when I start getting things together, if it comes to it I don't really have to have a built in controller.

My first idea for the case is to just use the wii housing, saves money and it looks nice. the portable will use a wiikey so no disc drive and I want to either trim or replace the heatsink because it is really tall. maybe use a gamecube one with a gamecube fan? I doubt the wii housing is big enough for all the portable needs but it's worth a shot, I also plant to make it only have 1 gamecube memory slot (slot B) and have a memory card built in to save more space.

If I can't use the wii housing are there are cases that will work. like a zn45 or would that be about the same amount of space? Keep in mind I plan to use a 5" screen (might change to a 7" though)

Lastly about the batteries just to get an idea does anyone know how long a 2000mah battery at 11.1v could power the wii alone?

Thanks for the help, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

IDK if a wii portable would be easier than a GC, the wii has a few more modules and the GC is better documented.

I'm at the same quest as you, building a Wiip that's not a laptop :)

From what I've heard but been unable to confirm is the wii classic controller backwards compatible with the gamecube. If that's true it would be possible to use the same controller for GC and Wii with an internal wiimote. What about analog triggers some might ask? Well according to this video does the Wii CC (not pro) have analog triggers http://youtu.be/GTsDsw32SIA

As for housing the wii case is quite roomy when you remove the disc drive, but maybe not enough for screen, batteries and controllers.

As for cooling, there isn't too much room width-wise, there are some components beside the chip that are a little high.

Oh and from what I've heard the wii need 12V to boot...

Hope this was of help :D

Thanks for the reply.

I read up on using a classic controller for gamecube games and devolution seems to support it but not diomios, I think devolution requires an anti piracy check and the wii I got doesn't read cd's (thats why I'm using a wiikey) so I might just have a built in gamecube controller.

can the wii run fine with 14.8v? I found some rather cheap laptop batteries that are 14.8v

The wii came in. as expected the disc drive is dead. Hooked up the wiikey and it seems to be working but I have a problem. to load gamecube games to wiikey you must use wbfs manager 4.0 but 4.0 won't work for me on windows 8.1. I tried disabling .net 3.5 and 4.5 with 3.5 enabled but it just crashes when it starts. wbfs 3.0 works but I don't think it can load gamecube games. is there an alternative or work around?

About the wii, everything seems perfect (aside from the disc drive) boots fine, was a little dusty inside but I cleaned it up. and I was able to install bootmii as boot2 which means I can also fairly easily launch any game without a wii controller by simple selecting homebrew channel instead of wii menu :D

Okay, so I did a bit more research last night and the Wii can actually take 14.8v straight from the battery. Also, I'm an idiot; linear regulators would be terrible for a wii. A switching regulator would be better suited, as you linked. However, if you can power your screen and everything else off of say 5v from the wii's built in regulators, there's not really a need for a 12v reg. At 14.8v, the wii should consume approximately 810mA. I have a 5200Ah pack, so with a screen and some controllers I would probably net around 3.5-4 hours of playtime. I'll be testing this out today and I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks for the help the screen I got is for cars so it runs off 12v and I think uses about 700 ma for a total around 1500ma and the batteries I plan to get are 2800 mah I may get bigger ones. I'd like to get 2 hours but they are pricey

Just make sure that screen can handle 14.8v! A lot of them can run off of 5v but if it's larger it might not.

I've been running the wii by itself off of 14.8v for about 4 hours straight now. My battery gauge still shows between 40-60% charge, so I think my figures are correct. Based on Zenloc's posts and this test, I'm pretty sure a DVD drive-less wii uses ~12w of power: 1 amp at 12v and 0.81 at 14.8v. With a wii only your battery would last 3.5 hours. With that 700ma screen, you would net 1.9ish hours. Hopefully it doesn't use that much, can I ask where you got it?

Most of those ebay screens only need about 300ma. Of course, it varies as you say. Did you check it with a multimeter? I actually ordered the same one for a different project but it isn't here yet. I want to say I saw one listing for one of those with a power rating of 3W.

Also, I double checked the amps at 14.8v with my multimeter and I was correct, it only needs 0.81A.

810 mA Wii at 14.8v
+220 mA LCD at 5v
-----
1030 mA ---> 2800 mAh/1030 mAh = 2.7 hours wii and LCD only

a few parts came in today and I tested them. the screen and the batteries. I got smaller 2600mah batteries.

the screen is nice and I think I found out how to power it off 5v

I wired up the batteries and charged them up, they powered the wii just fine.

I put the case halves together to get an idea of how things will work. I think I'm going to have 2 cells on each side of the case since the controller goes kind of low in the middle. after seeing that I noticed there might be enough room for a 2.5" hdd, that would be nice.

one concern I have is heat. will the batteries make too much heat, or maybe if I had a hdd in it?

How can I load games from the wiikey without having it reset? I think I need swiss, can I use the swiss booter homebrew app? I flashed swiss on my wiikey but when I try to load zelda wind waker it just says reading disc and then when I reset my wii and load the disc chanel it loads wind waker.

chairsgotoschool said:
How can I load games from the wiikey without having it reset? I think I need swiss, can I use the swiss booter homebrew app? I flashed swiss on my wiikey but when I try to load zelda wind waker it just says reading disc and then when I reset my wii and load the disc chanel it loads wind waker.

You can use softmods to have it reset directly into a loader like neogamma and choose "start from dvd" to launch the game loaded to the wiikey. It's not too clean but imo it's better than going to disc channel and use wiimotes.

Back