portable N64

TBH from a viewpoint standard here I think gamefreak is trying to take on too much as a beginner, and asking way too much of us diagram-wise than would be expected :/

I'm sorry for saying this, but I really think this is a waste of time. First off, I don't think you have the skill needed to do this yet. Second, no matter what you do, this thing is going to be too big to be considered portable. If you're doing it like Bac's (main unit with batteries, controls, screen, etc.), then the whole main unit is going to have to be huge even if it's just a lot of empty space, because it has to be big enough to fit all of the system "boxes" you're going to make. If your plan was to have all of the systems housed inside and switch between them with jumpers, the thing will be HUGE and HEAVY and virtually useless because you would barely be able to fit your hand around the thing it would be so thick and it would be difficult to play. Even Bac's system looks uncomfortable.

I agree with the above two posts. Like I said before, keep it simple. Use a maximum of two systems that are similar, and dont use disc based systems.

machjas said:
Also, Bush's diagram looks like an attempt at a multi-console controller. The only thing I really get out of that is that he's saying splice the buttons to use them in different consoles...

Exactly. It's really the most efficient way to do it, have each button work for each console. Like he shows, each button has its own point in the connector, and inside the game unit, the buttons will go to each console's motherboard.

I agree.

Are there issues interfacing those controller boards to the other consoles? For example the N64 C buttons and the PS1 buttons... Which board do you use and do the console boards even care which one you use?

@Bush: I think even two consoles might be a little much to take on starting out. I can't say I know any better than gamefreak does, but I can tell you I have absolutely no desire to go beyond a single console at this point.

In the display/controller unit, they are nothing more than four buttons. That's it. Just four points of momentary contact. Each one needs a trace going into the console unit, where you also have a controller mobo. So for a PS, you'd wire those contacts to the appropriate face buttons. The N64 is the C buttons. The controller mobo is in with the system. I don't think you caught that part.

Tibia said:
The controller mobo is in with the system. I don't think you caught that part.

Yep, that's it. Didn't realize the controller board is system-side. Makes perfect sense now, sorry!

=/

Like some people said, try to figure out the problems with your system of choice, then if your SURE you know what the problem is, make an attempt to fix it, it works for me alot.

P.S. How R we going 2 extend the ps1 frame while still keeping everything intact with the somewhat limited tools and resources we have?

P.S. 2 (No pun intended.) I LIKE PIE!

how r u going 2 lern tat its better to talk like this? Much more understandable and shows a bit more maturity than the way a few of your words showed in your last post ;)

As for this project, where is it headed now?

allright.... who said i was going to have all the systems in the portable at once :confused: , im only going to have two in it at once, at max, although yes i was planning to have a PS2 in it, it was only for the multimedia capabilities it had not so much the games, and i wasnt really going to have the systems in boxes, just the bare minimum of the board, which would then plug into a slot on the inside of the system. a recent idea i had which is sound better and better to me every minute, is using a cheap netbook as a screen and even a possible method of interface since my dad can probably write up a simple program to take the audio and video signal and display it on the screen, and, although again this is getting a bit advanced, even read the disks for a PS2, and store game saves for consoles. yes, this is ridiculously complex, but it makes for a fairly small system, and since i dont actually have to do any programing, it make my job fairly simple.

actually, ive just now decided against it in favor of another idea, and at the moment, it will have one console in at a time. my mind is brewing up some pretty great ideas for my multi system, i just don't know if they'll all make it into it at the moment. but i would like some suggestions on where to put the controller ports and if i should make a little slot on the top of the console for the different controllers, that way i could just switch out the controllers to match the console i'm using, or use a universal controller,
yes, i know that i'm not really keeping things simple, but hey, i've got pretty much nothing else to do this summer and id to get as much experience as possible, that and i enjoy doing this a lot. :D
thanks for all your help so far everyone :D

edit: NeoExdeath, we no longer have limited tools and resources, mah grandpa has A HUGE selection of tools, including a drill press and and and.... oh dear god, thats A LOT OF TOOLS :o!!!!!

i didnt like the emulator to much, its a great concept but its just too large, and i didnt like the feel of it. now would you guys consider 8 by 5 by 1 2/3" small enough to be considered portable,
and the batteries are 5 amp hours a piece. so heres the systems i have planned so far: N64, PSone or PS2, Dreamcast and possibly a gamecube ( not sure how i'll pull that one off), it will have a set of cooling fans since i could find a set small enough, the lob64 port, and will replace the controller ports on the consoles with ethernet ports to save space, and if i have my way... an auto shut off if the consoles get too hot, oh yeah, and a battery power sensor of some sort.

Battery "sensors" just measure the voltage off the battery, 8.3 or 8.4v is fully charged and 7.4v or 7.2v is empty.

opps, i seem to have made a mistake in my terminology, sorry, and bush, if you think what ive got going now is too complicated, than you dont even want ta know what i had planed and given up two days ago, that and its only two circuit boards containing stuff that youd find in other various portables, just not the auto shut off and fans.

Back