planing to make a portable need help

I got an old gamecube laying around my house. I want to make it in to a portable, but i don't know were to start. Oh and I'm new to modretro and portablizing.

1. Welcome to ModRetro!

2. Read the MegaStickies, the very first topic in each section.

3. It will cost you alot, more than $20, that's for sure. Expect $15-$50 for batterys, $100-$300 for tools, $30-$50 for a screen, $10 for another GOOD coontroller, and however else you want for the case. The more time and money you spent on the case, the better it will look!

4. Read all the MegaStickies again.

You could get lucky, though. MINIMUM cost could be as low as $80, if you use batterys from an old appliance (an old laptop battery, etc.) and use an old pocket TV if you find one. But in general, this is not a cheap hobby.

Could I get someone else's opinion in here, please?

Minimum would be about 40, imo.
You might have a soldering iron lying around, I know I did. A screen is 20 and you could easily get the batteries off of some other electronics you have lying around. (hopefully not that old, since they do hold less charge over time). Another 20 would be for other things like heatsinks, casing, etc. If you have a gamecube, you might have a good conditioned controller anyways. Regulators are little to nothing, also.

ok gosh not my fault im new to portablizing give me a break. :wtf: fine i just look a the topics and find out on my own and i'll stop asking questions. :cry:

Darkninja691 said:
ok gosh not my fault im new to portablizing give me a break. :wtf: fine i just look a the topics and find out on my own and i'll stop asking questions. :cry:

BRAVO!!!!!!! LEARNING CURVE

Yes you may get lucky finding old parts around the house and even in some recycling bins.

Here is what I found for making two portables :

Ps2 slim, 8.4v battery, 8 sheets of styrene, controller, paint, epoxy, a mini vcr screen that my dad was going to throw out, some 18 gauge wire and a few ide cables, a snes mini (didn't know it was already broken :(), and some plywood.

If you can find some stuff around your house to make a budget portable then you will save money and don't worry if your portable doesn't look like you planned. You have room to screw up since its your first one (I use this excuse).

Back