Piano hands.

Jewjo

Good morning/afternoon/evening, etc. fellow ModdersRetro. As most of you know, bentomo recently finished a musical glove project. I've become interested in this project and would like to make my own, but with a few spins on the original idea. Obviously, since I never know what I'm doing, I come to you all for help once more. Here is a list of features I want to include in my version:
  • Features
    • Fingers*
    • 1l-3l and 1r-4r will each be one note (A-G)
    • 4l (Pinky) will be flat or sharp toggle. I haven't decided which one would be better.
    • Tl and Tr will be toggle one octave lower and higher, respectively
  • Headphone Jack
  • Speaker (2?)
  • Recommendations. :)

*Index finger=1; numbers increase going towards the pinky; l and r designate the hand; T=thumb

I had a short conversation with bentomo over some details of the project, and here is the information I have now:

bentomo said:
XCVG said:
http://xcvg.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/555tone.png

The potentiometer changers the tone. Change the values of the resistors and capacitor to adjust further. We used a 9V power source but it should work down to 5V or so with reduced volume. R1, R2, C1 and the potentiometer affect the tone. R3 is the base resistor (is that what it's called?) for the transistor, I recommend you leave it unless you drastically change the supply voltage. R4 affects the volume of the speaker, it's probably reasonably safe to leave it out except for tiny speakers.

You just replace the pot with fixed resistors and tactile switches.
Not a whole lot, but a significant start.

And here is yet another one of my many inquisitive litanies:
  • Can I bridge points 4 and 8 of the 555? I assume so.
  • I have a list of Hz -> musical notes, courtesy of my physics text book. But I would love a list of Voltage/current/whatever -> Hz output from the speaker for the 555 if that request makes sense. Basically, what amount of resistance correlates to what frequency, assuming 9v input? This is probably the most important thing I need help with!!
  • **Where would I connect the tact switches and resistors for each note?
  • **How the heck do I rig up the octave change/flat buttons?

** I think I know how, and will MSPaint up a diagram hypothesis tomorrow.

Thanks for any help. I need to do this before May, but would like to have it done before March.

XCVG said:
http://www.horrorseek.com/home/halloween/wolfstone/TechBase/com555_555TimerCalc.html

There are lots of other 555 calculators, I think I got the wrong one though. Some will tell you what you need to know, some won't.
That is really, really cool, but which diagram am I to use? Neither matches with the one in the first post.

When you do build look into a stronger glove, and better buttons. It's hard to push simple tact switches fast to create music. Also it was hard to center the buttons because the cloth moved around so much. And figure out how you're going to push a button on the thumb. Very difficult when not on a flat surface.

There is a toy that does this, it has ends that go over each finger, then runs to a control box on the wrist. I got one for Christmas in 2001, lemme see if I can find it.

Building your own is more fun though. But it's still only a squeal and not a recorded piano noise.

Jewjo said:
XCVG said:
http://www.horrorseek.com/home/halloween/wolfstone/TechBase/com555_555TimerCalc.html

There are lots of other 555 calculators, I think I got the wrong one though. Some will tell you what you need to know, some won't.
That is really, really cool, but which diagram am I to use? Neither matches with the one in the first post.

The circuit is an ASTABLE. The diagram is not the same but all you need to look at is the resistors and capacitor on pins 2, 6 and 7 I think.

Back