Personal Helicopter

Mario

Gin-Choobinest Member
Staff member
So, I've had an idea for the longest time about making a personal, miniature helicopter. I was doing research, and I found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D31WGnKTUE
(Higher quality version here: http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2008/0 ... lifts.html )

And now I know it's possible!
I was thinking of a design just like this, with twin rotors to cancel the spinning forces of the other. Except, I was thinking of a backpack-like design. :awesome:

There seems to be some kind of part holding the rotors. It looks like it's connected to the engine and provides two output shafts - each turning in opposite directions. Is this a custom-made/DIY part or can it be bought somewhere?

The rotors are another issue. Where can you get rotors like that?

What kind of engine is he running there? I was thinking a lawnmower engine would be acceptable for this task. Even though it was made to spin a grass-cutting blade, it could do the job if you don't use it at top speed a lot. It's difficult to tell from the video, but it doesn't look like a lawnmower engine, even though it's one of the youtube tags. (but you know, that means nothing.)
Technically, any engine could do the task if it can crank out enough RPMs.
Plus, all new lawnmower engines are vertical shaft.

It's possible, but it's gonna be difficult, and it's gonna be expensive. A lawnmower engine and usually ghetto-rigging are NOT going to cut it.

Here, this might help. I'm not talking about one that can go to 1000ft altitude. Just hover several feet above the ground.

Mario said:
Here, this might help. I'm not talking about one that can go to 1000ft altitude. Just hover several feet above the ground.

If it can hover a few feet, it will be able to do 1000ft, too. ;) The air pressure is not all that different.

If you are looking into just some thrills, not going very far, I suggest using a water pressure based jetpack system, tethered to a hose. Always wanted to rig one up, they exist commercially. The pressure washer at my work has enough kick to lift about 10-15 pounds, more powerful one with two nozzles would probably lift a person.

Back