PC game gun

samjc3

#1 Female Member
I am going to build a "PC Game Gun". basically, a fake gun with a monitor strapped to it. for playing FPS'. however, it will have a gyromouse strapped to it, so movement affects the game. that way, i can control with my motion. the trigger will be wired in to the left mouse button, and it will have a selectively chopped usb controller and a similarly chopped keyboard. i hope to have it be entirely wireless.

any suggestions, or thoughts before i start?

inspired by this. thanks gross!

PS: if anyone has an old gun from a time crisis (or similar) arcade machine, i would love to have the actuator.

How do you plan to get a wireless display?

From what I've seen in a bit of research on the idea, there aren't really any cheapish viable solutions, especially for gaming.

theres plenty of wireless VGA solutions, but i was just thinking an arduino and an Xbee or two. that would have enough bandwidth to stream VGA. and if i were to use composite or something, it would be even easier. and who said anything about cheap?

Looks sweet, although I don't like the idea of turning around like that, I'd get dizzy.

From what palmer has told me on the subject, current wireless vga solutions are way too slow to be viable for gaming.

hmm. if wireless VGA is too slow, then i could do wireless S-video. or wireless composite, or, if i wanted to go all out, i could get an Ion dual core nettop, and an SSD and mount em in the stock. circumvents wireless.

samjc3 said:
theres plenty of wireless VGA solutions, but i was just thinking an arduino and an Xbee or two. that would have enough bandwidth to stream VGA. and if i were to use composite or something, it would be even easier. and who said anything about cheap?

Trust me, an Arduino and Xbee modules will not do that job.

I might be able to get you a crisis gun from a machine.
Let me email my friend and see how many he has.

Nothing out there nearly fast enough for VGA gaming.

Your only option, really, is composite. :( I would just use a cable, you can get very thin, flexible VGA cables.

Just use a Wiimote. It's already got most of what you need and you can interface it to your PC with Bluetooth.

As for wireless video, I have no idea.

The wiimote uses IR as its point mechanism, And since this is to be as close to real life as possible, the restriction of your ability to aim to a small field of view in front of you really limits that. I doubt the motion sensors in the wiimote are accurate enough to be used for this either.

I suppose the motionplus accessory might be accurate enough to work, but I don't know if it's been figured out how to use that feature with computers yet.

well the guy in the video used a dell motion plus mouse, so i dont think motion control is really gonna be an issue.

but really, the more i look into this, its looking like wireless video is gonna be a problem. so imma get me an HTPC with a dual core atom and hopefully an ion2. i will use an SSD instead of an HDD. that will be in the stock. then i may use video goggles instead of a monitor, as that would be more immersive. then i would mount the mouse on the top, run a large number of lipo cells down the forestock, and and put a solenoid somewhere. it might be a bit heavy, but, whats wrong with getting a workout gaming, if it doesnt involve a balance board?

Just make certain you dont start running while playing your games. Could make trouble, real quick. When you finish this, I dare ya to use it in public somewhere.

Back