Not understanding the power needed for a portable?

AndreeU

I've read and research numerous of articles regarding creating a portable nintendo 64. However, i seem to be getting more and more confused with only a small section of the build. The section that confuses me the most is the battery part. Now from reading i read that i need:

2 li-on battery
2 protective boards
1 power jack
1 charger jack
1 power brick (for charging)

Now i'm not 100% sure about those tools needed since i tried typing them from whatever knowledge i have. However that simply confuses me. I read that we need 2 battery li-on that are 3.4V each (adding in series to 7.4V) correct? However, don't i also have to figure out how much voltage the screen itself will output? Or does that not matter since the nintendo 64 motherboard only contain 2 sets of power output, one been 3.3v and the other been 7.4v. Whats this that i keep reading that we need two sets of jacks? One that can be use to charge the portable console and the other jack simply to either power the console (while charging or when not wanting to use the battery)! Could someone smply elaborate the power part? i already know were the power goes in regards to the motherboard. I'm just asking about power in general before i go out and start buying all sets of charger. Also i will be using a 4" screen from ebay (not sure which)! Could anyone refer me some batteries etc. from ebay that i could use. This is my first build, so i'm not looking for a perfec clean console just a working console. Obviously, my next project should be spectaculer. If you have any questions about what i need simply ask ! I will be more than graceful for the help ! (Currently taking DC-AC electronics)

Uhh, in the common diagrams there are 2 jacks, as you said, one for charging, one for playing. Most smart chargers you buy don't have enough amperage to both charge the batteries and allow someone to play, so you have to choose either or.
Other than that I'm not exactly sure what you're asking?

Most screens will take ~7.4V, if that's what you're asking...

Anyways,
Basically you hook up the batteries to the protection circuits, and then you have a VCC and GND on the protection circuit, you set up the charging jacks and switch(es) as needed, and then power the N64/Screen/Amp/etc.

Hermaphroditus said:
Uhh, in the common diagrams there are 2 jacks, as you said, one for charging, one for playing. Most smart chargers you buy don't have enough amperage to both charge the batteries and allow someone to play, so you have to choose either or.
Other than that I'm not exactly sure what you're asking?

Most screens will take ~7.4V, if that's what you're asking...

Anyways,
Basically you hook up the batteries to the protection circuits, and then you have a VCC and GND on the protection circuit, you set up the charging jacks and switch(es) as needed, and then power the N64/Screen/Amp/etc.

Okay thats seems more understandable. Would any smart charger do the trick? I only need the simplicity of charging not the need for it to do both (charge and play)! What would you recommend i buy? Also well the screen im planning to buy is that of a car GPS screen 4". It says that it outputs about 12V but from my experience using car electronics, i've realize that the voltage is merely the max voltage it can output rather than what it naturally needs!

I understand the hooking up part, not the whole "what i need to have a successful charge and turn on of game"! I understand a bit more thank you!

Back