Nobble's SNES Portable: The Scarlet SNES

nobble

Welcome to my Scarlet worklog! I am building a SNES portable. I got the idea from Life of Brian's 3rd portable. I am using a ZN-40 and a OKW XL with a spacer. For my screen I am using a zenith 5" LED modded. I am using a SNES mini for the system (obviously). For the controls I am using a 3rd party super famicom color controller. I should be updating regularly so keep watching!

Re: SNES Netbook

How much more room do you have in the bottom of the case? Remember, still gotta leave some wiggle room for the battery. Also, picked out a color yet?

zeturi said:
How much more room do you have in the bottom of the case? Remember, still gotta leave some wiggle room for the battery. Also, picked out a color yet?
he could have quite a bit more, if he trims the board. you can shave a ton off of those things. :awesome:

I actually meant depth, should've specified. Yeah, if you're not too intimidated about using li-po cells, try the flat ones hailrazer's got in his tutorial.

I will be using lipos. And for depth, I'm going to have to have an external cart slot on the bottom so I will be franken casing it up a bit. Color is going to be red with a nice black edging around the screen.

How thick is the bottom half? If it's tall enough, you might be able to just bend the cartridge slot down 90 degrees, and have the games go in sideways. I'm unsure if you could or not, I've never owned a SNES.

zeturi said:
How thick is the bottom half? If it's tall enough, you might be able to just bend the cartridge slot down 90 degrees, and have the games go in sideways. I'm unsure if you could or not, I've never owned a SNES.
The bottom half is about an inch deep.

Here's a few pics of my controller ports all cut out.

IMG00095-20091201-1503.jpg

IMG00094-20091201-1502.jpg

THINGS TO DO:

1.Buy new soldering iron and desoldering iron.
2.Order zenith screen.
3.Buy batteries.
4.Wire up controller, battery, screen, speakers, switches, a/v ports.
5.Relocate cart slot. (not looking forward to this...)
6.Get some sheets of plastic.
7.Paint
8.Other stuff that I cant think of.

btw, bondo and abs cement are some of the best tools avalible to the general public for casework. they are gods.(of what you can raid from walmart and radioshack; I MEAN YOU, HAILRAZER WITH YOUR BIG FANCY TUBED STUFF) but pretty slick so far.

mako321 said:
btw, bondo and abs cement are some of the best tools avalible to the general public for casework. they are gods.(of what you can raid from walmart and radioshack; I MEAN YOU, HAILRAZER WITH YOUR BIG FANCY TUBED STUFF) but pretty slick so far.

I will beat you with a dead penguin for saying the B - word. :ninj:

Bondo sucks and should only be used to fill pinholes and small imperfections. THIS MEANS YOU mako321

ok then?

Anyway I am ordering my screen and battery on the 3rd. So this project should be rolling along.

I decided to rewire the capacitors to make some more room in the case. It worked out well, though it took a long time. Everything still works!

IMG00098-20091203-0733.jpg

Back