Nintendo will partner with DeNA to develop mobile apps

Zero

ModRetro Legend
Administrator
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/03/n ... one-games/

So it looks like after resisting to enter the smartphone market, Nintendo is finally ready to jump in by partnering with an already established mobile game developer. They're saying that right now this will only be for new titles and that they won't be porting over existing games. What do you guys think about this? I'd like to see where it leads, but I hope it doesn't lead to Nintendo being more aggressive against emulators on mobile since they have a bigger interest in the space now.

I don't see where this is going without some sort of controller. It's hard enough to use touch controls and most ninty games seem to need buttons. As for right now, I'm pretty skeptical that this is a good idea and if anything all I see is a decrease in handheld sales.

Doesn't really seem necessary to me from a sales standpoint, being that the 3DS is still killing it, especially with the new systems that just came out. Not really sure what to think of this.

I think they're hoping to use very simple apps with their branding/characters to promote sales of their consoles. What I do think is weird is that they announced them working on a new home console, but didn't mention anything about a new handheld even though the 3DS is older than the Wii U. They could be planning on keeping the 3DS around longer than usual handhelds, especially with the new 3DSs being released.

Zero said:
I think they're hoping to use very simple apps with their branding/characters to promote sales of their consoles. What I do think is weird is that they announced them working on a new home console, but didn't mention anything about a new handheld even though the 3DS is older than the Wii U. They could be planning on keeping the 3DS around longer than usual handhelds, especially with the new 3DSs being released.
Are you sure they mentioned a new home console and not just new hardware that could be anything?

I just wish they would be more clear about the apps. I have no issue with companion apps, but I'm worried we are going to see some weird, uncanny valley type nintendo games like Mario is Missing ! unless Nintendo pumps some money into the development.

grossaffe said:
Are you sure they mentioned a new home console and not just new hardware that could be anything?

I'm not sure. I'd have to check again, but a home console makes the most sense. The Wii U somehow ended up selling less globally in 2014 than 2013, which is surprising because of how great the year was for exclusives. The 3DS is still doing pretty Dang well though.

Zero said:
I'm not sure. I'd have to check again, but a home console makes the most sense. The Wii U somehow ended up selling less globally in 2014 than 2013, which is surprising because of how great the year was for exclusives. The 3DS is still doing pretty Dang well though.
The 3DS is 4 years old now, so it wouldn't be all that suprising that its successor is close to being announced. In this case, I think they jumped the gun a bit because of the extenuating circumstances surrounding their recent deal with DeNA to show that they are still dedicated to hardware.
The Wii U didn't have a great 2014 but that was also the first full year of its competition entering the market.

As for exactly what was said with reguards to the new device:
Satoru Iwata said:
As proof that Nintendo maintains strong enthusiasm for the dedicated game system business, let me confirm that Nintendo is currently developing a dedicated game platform with a brand-new concept under the development codename “NX.” It is too early to elaborate on the details of this project, but we hope to share more information with you next year.

I almost want it to be a real next gen console, with 1080p hd graphix and all... but I know that's not what they are about. I just want to see and play the ultra hd first party titles ya know?

naimlessone said:
I almost want it to be a real next gen console, with 1080p hd graphix and all... but I know that's not what they are about. I just want to see and play the ultra hd first party titles ya know?
The Wii U already does 1080p plus it renders a 480p screen to go with it.

Isn't the New 3DS a new system? I thought it was supposed to have its own software, like the GBC, although it could end up like the DSi in that regard.

Back