Nintendo DS Joystick

Hello everyone =) I'm new to the whole modding scene and just started on my DS (though I'm getting pretty depressed because I keep running into invulnerable screws that are immune to the touch of a screwdriver or drill......)

Anyways I plan on making this mod pretty incredible (It has to be......it's going to have a theme based on The Joker :D ) and I wanted to add all the stuff that I wanted the DS to have that it never did.....starting off with a joystick. Now I'm working with the original Nintendo DS. I know it's possible to add a joystick, but I have yet to see a tutorial on how to do such a thing. I would like to add it below the D-pad.

Anyone care to help me out?

You can add a joystick.

But it's not a good idea. I'll tell you why. You don't get analog control. You get very clumsy digital control. I'll explain tomorrow if nobody else does.

By joystick, do you mean analog stick? That wouldn't work. You can't invent an input method if it doesn't exist. You could have a joystick, but it wouldn't be analog, it would be like a d-pad. It wouldn't see how far you were tilting it, just how much you were. Also, it would be hard to close unless you had one of those crappy psp-like nibs. Plus, there might not be enough space in there.

I remember someone that tried to convert the touch screen into an analog stick, but I don't remember anything coming of that, and it looked really complicated and hard.

Also, if it was below the d-pad, that would be a bit cramped.

Edit: if you really want to try converting the touch screen to an analog stick, here's a link to a replacement touch screen thing.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3259

Wow you guys replied quick......that's the first time on a modding forum this has happened....lol. Ok well that's a little dissapointing......ok well I just had one more question, is making my own custom DS case and putting the DS's innards in it and making it work hard? If so how would I go about it? I know it is possible, but whta do I make the case out of?

It depends what kind of mod you are doing, if it's just a paint job then you just take it apart and spray paint it. However building a ds case from scratch without a cnc machine would be very difficult. The components inside need proper placement. I'm not saying it's impossible but it would be difficult without some case making experience, or without proper tools.

Although you could start with a paint job.

What type of DS is it? Is it a lite or a phat? If it's a fat it should be a a bit easier to make a new case for.. Your best bet is buying a replacement case on ebay, custom painting it, and then transplant the guts into it.

:facepalm: He wants a new case so that the joystick would fit in, not just the same case.

If you're not too concerned about size, you could get a premade case, would not be too hard to fit stuff in there, relocate somethings, new switches, just like we do when we make our portables.

Thanks guuys, much obliged :D I think since i'm new I'll start off with a paint job and a little soldering, and when I'm more experienced THEN I'll try my hand at making my own custom DS case (and hopefylly someone figures out a way to make a joystick function properly on a DS!)

SirSwagger said:
Thanks guuys, much obliged :D I think since i'm new I'll start off with a paint job and a little soldering, and when I'm more experienced THEN I'll try my hand at making my own custom DS case (and hopefylly someone figures out a way to make a joystick function properly on a DS!)
Joystick will never work properly with a DS, something to do with PWN(age) or something. It won't work with any system past snes or gba, I think. (iirc, anyway.)

Ah ok.....definitely dissapointing. Well I'm planning on cutting the shell with a dremel (just tracing out the words "Why So Serious) on the back of the front case. Now how exactly would I add LED's in the back of the ds (in the top area)? (a link to a tutorial would be nice). I plan on putting plexi glass (or some material) back there and making the words glow.

:facepalm:

You :could: make it work with the touch screen, but it would only work in a few games. What you need to do is build a circuit to register how far the analog stick is being pushed, then pulse the dpad contacts so that is matches. So if you push it all the way, it presses the dpad, but if you only push halfway, it will press it, say, 10 times per second. This way, you can have almost perfect analog control in most games. :mrgreen:

The downside is that building said circuit is difficult, and probably beyond your expertise. :( If all you want is improved diagonals, then put a small circular top (like the top of a GC joystick) and epoxy that to the DS dpad. It looks cool, and feels ever cooler. :awesome:

AS for the case, check this out, I did it a long, long time ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ6YEmr2uqs

I basically did EXACTLY what you want to with the LEDs, I used 4 different colors for each part of the N64 logo, hard to tell in the video (Watch the whole thing!)

If you did a bit of trimming, you could fit a PSP slim analog stick in your case.

I might write a tut, once I have some more time. Any other questions?

Don't use a dremel for high-detail work. Just cut it with an x-acto knife. Put some sanded clear plastic behind it, and put LEDs next to it. connect the LEDs to a voltage source and you're done.

This is the most helpful forum I have EVER been on........wow. You guys are awesome :D Well I've heard some people say to use a dremel for high detail work, and I have seen some tutorials that have made it happen......so what exactly is recommended more over the other? An exacto knife or a dremel? Cuz I just bought a dremel and was going to use that. My last 3 questions are:
1. How would I go about making tthe Joker's face and putting it on the front of the case? What material should I use and how easy would it be? I'm not bad at sculpting. but that detailed......I just don't know.
2. How would I change the color of the DS screens light? Like would it be possible to make them a different color?
3. Should I paint the buttons and if not, how do I change there color then and make them light up?

PS: Palmer a tut would be AWESOME! Could you explain a little bit more about what you mean with the improved diagnols? Because I think that's the route I want to take for now (until I become skilled enough for the circuitry one lol). BTW thanks for the vid!

Also Palmer, how much did your modded DS sell for? Because I wanted to sell this after it's done (not for profit....well a little lol, but mainly for paying off the cost of the tools I bought/am going to buy and so I can afford this as well as my next modding project). I haven't seen ANY modded consoles on ebay anymore, but I here they sell for a lot and was wondering if you had any selling tips?

SirSwagger said:
1. How would I go about making tthe Joker's face and putting it on the front of the case? What material should I use and how easy would it be? I'm not bad at sculpting. but that detailed......I just don't know.
2. How would I change the color of the DS screens light? Like would it be possible to make them a different color?
3. Should I paint the buttons and if not, how do I change there color then and make them light up?

1. I don't know, you could make a form and vacuform, you could carve it and stick it on, you could even cast it. It depends on the finish you want and what you are good with really.
2. On a DS Lite, the backlight uses LEDs (I think) so you could change them out, but it would be really hard. This is probably impossible on a DS Phat.
3. Normal paint won't work well on buttons. However, Krylon Fusion or a similar penetrating paint would work. Vinyl dye would probably work even better. There's a tutorial for that somewhere on this site, I forget where. As for making them light up, you could try putting an LED inside shining up on them, but it would probably be uneven. There isn't enough room for an LED under each button I don't think.

Well I looked on youtube and it seems someone managed to do it and make it even, so there's still hope!

I want the joker to be semi 3d so a decal wouldn't work (besides there are no good Heath leger joker decals.....or at all for that matter)

SirSwagger said:
This is the most helpful forum I have EVER been on........wow. You guys are awesome :D Well I've heard some people say to use a dremel for high detail work, and I have seen some tutorials that have made it happen......so what exactly is recommended more over the other? An exacto knife or a dremel? Cuz I just bought a dremel and was going to use that. My last 3 questions are:

PS: Palmer a tut would be AWESOME! Could you explain a little bit more about what you mean with the improved diagnols? Because I think that's the route I want to take for now (until I become skilled enough for the circuitry one lol). BTW thanks for the vid!

Also Palmer, how much did your modded DS sell for? Because I wanted to sell this after it's done (not for profit....well a little lol, but mainly for paying off the cost of the tools I bought/am going to buy and so I can afford this as well as my next modding project). I haven't seen ANY modded consoles on ebay anymore, but I here they sell for a lot and was wondering if you had any selling tips?

Thanks for the compliments, this site is essentially a smaller, quicker response version of forums.benheck.com, though there is some good info on there. Just don't expect any help in the handheld modding section! ;)

A dremel is fine, but you will want to finish it with a nail file. Exacto is also good, it really depends on what you are more comfortable with. Practice on scrap plastic with both, see what you think.

1. You want this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Dark-Knight-Heath-L ... 286.c0.m14

Molded, painted resin, easy to cut the head in half and mount the front part on the DS AFTER you paint it and do the LED modding (Attaching the head will be the last thing you do). That will be the easiest and best looking route, in my opinion. Cheap, too.

2. You COULD do this, but why? It will make all the games weird looking, and white will be the brightest. If you are looking for a freaky color distortion effect, you can pull the rear polarizer off the LCD and swap it with another filter rotated 45 degrees, it will make all the colors the exact opposite.

3. I painted my buttons, it is really, really a rough idea. No matter what you do, the paint will eventually wear down with heavy gameplay. To be honest, you are best off leaving them as they are. Although dealextreme DOES have some shells with white buttons that you could vinyl dye, or use fabric dye, with. What color are you looking for? I will see what is around.

I will take a few pics while I am working on my N64p, the dpad mod has a lot of overlap. Basically, you are taking a disk of some kind, and gluing it to the dpad. It makes pressing into diagonals easier, since it spreads out the pressure to the edge. For an easy try of what I am talking about, take a quarter, and hot glue it temporarily to the dpad. Or, just hold it on top. Try a game with heavy diagonals, and you are gonna see what I mean. :awesome:

I sold my DS for $186+shipping. To be honest, considering the DS Lite had been out and was only $130 brand new, it was a fair price. But with a used DS Lite now costing under $60, and a DS Phat costing maybe $30-40, I do not know if you will be making much at all.

Selling tips? I have a ton. :D Keep the worklog here, and when you are done, post a thread in the "completed projects" forum. Once you do that, list it on eBay using a 10 day auction, making sure it ends late on a Saturday night, EST Time, and add the link to your modretro thread. Then, post it on a variety of batman and comic memorabilia based forums, like http://legionsofgotham.proboards.com/index.cgi, and a few others. Google will help you there. In all the threads, link to the eBay listing and your modretro thread (Once you sell it, it only stays on ebay for 90 days, so you want the modretro thread so that people can still see it in the future). In the meanwhile, using the power of ModRetro, us members can all submit news tips to places like engadget, gizmodo, kotaku, hackaday, etc. If they post it, you will get MASSIVE hits on your eBay page, and thus a higher price.

I was new back then, I was a modding nobody, so I had no powerful forces to help me. I only got on joystiq and DSfanboy, and Joystiq was like a year later. :mad: if you do a good job, and we help ya out, you might make a decent amount! Should have timed this to the release of the Dark Knight on DVD, though. ;)

Ok I'm asking....no begging you to never let this forum die EVER!!! God......this place is truly unreal :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

THANK YOU FOR THIS. I am definitely buying that tomorrow. I was afraid I was going to have to sculpt one myself...lol

I was thinking purple buttons since the inside is going to be green.

I REALLY like that analog stick idea. How would I go about executing it so that it does the job well, fits in the case, and looks nice?

K well I'm getting my Xacto and Dremel later this week so I'll just practice with my off brand cutting knife till then.

Well I'm just looking to sell it for AT LEAST $150-200. I want to buy a DS Lite (to replace my DS) as well as have some money for my next modding project.

Since you (as well as everyone else) has been so awesome in aiding me in my first mod I might as well ask, how do I get two SMALL stuck screws out? There are two small (3mm phillips I believe) that are stopping me from taking out the motherboard and until then I can't paint. I've tried all the stuck screw techniques.....drilling, superglue.....I'm just at a standstill.

I will post my log progress up tomorrow =)

BTW: I agree that I should have timed this better, but I wasn't introduced to the modding world at that time. However, I have done some thinking, and I am well in the know of what's popular and has a HUGE fanbase, etc. So next time something is released I WILL be there with a console modded theme!! (Harry Potter, Pokemon, Ironman 2.......the list goes on). Too bad nothing popular comes out this year lol.

Back