President Groosevelt
Staff member
Aww yeah!
Wind-Waker-HD-1.jpg

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct ... 1-23-2013/

also from the Nintendo Direct conference:
Yoshi Yarn (not actual name) from the makers of Kirby's Epic Yarn
new 3D Mario game for Wii U announced and to be shown at E3
First glimpse at Monolith Soft's next game (possible Xenoblade sequel? has a lot reminiscent of the game in the footage, also looks absolutely beautiful)
new Zelda game announced, though nothing to be seen yet, they mentioned that they want to shake up the series a bit including being able to tackle dungeons non-linearly.
Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei

Re: Wind Waker U HD

DK  said:
I'll just upscale the GameCube version using Dolphin.
Go to around the 31 minute mark of the Nintendo Direct. Looks so much better than Dolphin could hope to do.

Re: Wind Waker U HD (and other Nintendo Direct stuff)

Wow, Nintendo are actually going to try and make the Wii U interesting?

Pretty on the fence about Windwaker U, great game, but the Gamecube version hasn't dated a bit.

EDIT: Seems that Nintendo are also bringing VC to the Wii U, and are charging $1 for NES games and $1.50 for SNES games to be re-downloaded if you already purchased them... that is some corporate greed bullflax going on right there. Seriously, wow.

Kickback said:
Wow, Nintendo are actually going to try and make the Wii U interesting?

Pretty on the fence about Windwaker U, great game, but the Gamecube version hasn't dated a bit.
True, but the Wii U does not play gamecube games, so this is a way of bringing it to an audience that hasn't played it yet while making it look even better, and maybe they'll refine it a bit to work well with the gamepad. Wouldn't mind having quick inventory-access with the touch-screen.
On the other hand, if they were going to overhaul a gamecube Zelda game for the Wii U, Twilight Princess is in more need of a visual upgrade. The art-style of that game required better textures than the console could produce given the scale of the game. But being that Twilight Princess has a Wii version, I'm guessing it's not a priority since the Wii U plays Wii games. :(

EDIT: Seems that Nintendo are also bringing VC to the Wii U, and are charging $1 for NES games and $1.50 for SNES games to be re-downloaded if you already purchased them... that is some corporate greed flax going on right there. Seriously, wow.
While I'm not a big fan of that, you don't have to rebuy them if you don't want the added Wii U functionality. Transferring them to your Wii U from your Wii is free and you can play them in Wii mode. Better than if they made you pay full-price for the Wii U functionality.

I wonder what Wii U features VC will have, I still think they charge a bit much for what is basically just a ROM, but still you do have a point, Wind Waker does deserve a bit more recognition in the video game world

Dang, saw this during class and I knew Groose would beat me to it. :p

I'm super excited since Wind Waker is pretty much my favorite 3D Zelda, and one of my favorite games period. Unlike most HD "remakes" we see, this looks like an actual remake and not just a port/upscale, so I really got to give it to Nintendo.

All the other games look amazing too, and I'm especially looking forward to Monolith's game and SMT X Fire Emblem. New Yoshi is a buy for me as well if it can live up to Yoshi's Story. At this rate, I'm very likely getting a Wii U before the year ends.

Kickback said:
EDIT: Seems that Nintendo are also bringing VC to the Wii U, and are charging $1 for NES games and $1.50 for SNES games to be re-downloaded if you already purchased them... that is some corporate greed bullflax going on right there. Seriously, wow.

Like Groose said, they're only charging if you want the extra Wii U mode features, you can transfer all your Wii VC games and WiiWare over for free. While it does kinda suck still, I'm guessing this was the only way they can offset the cost of developing proper emulators for all the consoles all over again. Also, since they didn't have a very good system of keeping track of purchases before, I wonder if the Wii to Wii U transfer brings over pirated VC games and the like. If so, this could be a way to just prevent people from getting all the Wii U versions for free.

EDIT: They really should integrate the 3DS and Wii U purchases though, considering they said they were bringing GBA to Wii U.

Zero said:
Dang, saw this during class and I knew Groose would beat me to it. :p
<3
All the other games look amazing too, and I'm especially looking forward to Monolith's game and SMT X Fire Emblem. New Yoshi is a buy for me as well if it can live up to Yoshi's Story. At this rate, I'm very likely getting a Wii U before the year ends.
I'm super excite for Monolith's game. If it's half as good as Xenoblade was, it'll be well worth the money. Xenoblade looked absolutely beautiful despite the Wii's limitations, but it was one game where the limitations became rather apparent. I really want to see what they're able to do with a console that'll handle their huge expansive environments without the shortcuts they had to take.

This is great! Especially since I never really got anywhere in Wind Waker...

The upgraded visuals in Wind Waker look great, but I dunno if I'd buy a WiiU just for that specifically. Wind Waker and all other GC games already look beautiful via Dolphin. I'm sure when Ninty reveals the true new Zelda people will be falling all over themselves to get a WiiU installed in their home. Luckily I'm already ready already.

New Xenoblade looks sick.

The game both me and the kids are most psyched for atm is the new Luigi's Mansion.

I must have Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon.
Luigi's Mansion was played a lot for a few months while I was in Kindergarten.
...until I reached and could not beat baby Chauncey, and didn't revisit the game for 7 years... :oops:

As long as I can still access the Pig Dungeon with cheats, I will play it.

Otherwise, I guess I'll have to spend a whole lot of time on windfall. I hope they don't change gassy pig, he was my favorite.

Ah, the days I would spend, chasing pigs, catching pigs, going around town pigs, hanggliding with pigs off that one cliff where that mexican dances. I once actually used a superjump code and took a pig to the cabana.

Good times, man. Good times.

SS

Oh I knew you all would.

New Mario & Luigi coming to 3DS this summer, New Super Luigi U DLC, Animal Crossing: New Leaf coming out this June, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D also coming this summer, Mario And Donkey Kong: Minis On The Move, and Mario Golf 3DS.

Nintendo is really stepping it up lately, although I don't know what's up with remaking DKC:R when they had the opportunity to make a brand new game. On the bright side, DKC:R will be 1000x better without the wiimote waggle being required for the roll.

Zero said:
New Mario & Luigi coming to 3DS this summer, New Super Luigi U DLC, Animal Crossing: New Leaf coming out this June, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D also coming this summer, Mario And Donkey Kong: Minis On The Move, and Mario Golf 3DS.

Nintendo is really stepping it up lately, although I don't know what's up with remaking DKC:R when they had the opportunity to make a brand new game. On the bright side, DKC:R will be 1000x better without the wiimote waggle being required for the roll.
Don't forget that Retro made DKC:R. To make a brand new one for the 3DS would mean pulling them off of whatever amazing secret project they're currently working on. They don't need a developer of Retro's talent to port the already made game, though.

Also, I agree about getting rid of the waggle. That was quite an unnecessary control mechanism that I didn't think we'd get from someone like Retro. They didn't have Waggle in Metroid Prime 3, but rather used motion controls to increase immersion.

They're supposedly rebuilding it from the ground up, so my say is that it won't be a straight-up port. If it has all the same content from the Wii release, there will definitely be something extra in there.

Bump for the Nintendo Direct the other day. A Link to the Past sequel sequel announced for the 3DS.
link_to_the_past_2_3ds.0_cinema_640.0.jpg

And this next game goes well with it as another 3DS sequel to an SNES game. Yoshi's Island 3DS.
YoshisIsland3DS-1.jpg

New Mario Party for 3DS, Bravely Default making it's way overseas, some release dates mentioned...
http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct ... 4-17-2013/

Back