Nintendo 64 Paintjob

srd

Newb
Hello everyone!

This post might get long so I'll try to organize it and make it easier to read and respond to :).

I want to start by saying that I've read and learned a lot here. However I would like to request some help with my first "project" because I can see that the main theme is portable modding (not my case) and also, with the language it becomes hard to identify some specific items and techniques.

(Also I'm not sure this is the correct section to post, but it seemed the most appropriate).

My sole intention in this first attempt is to do simple paintjobs on N64 consoles and controllers.

From what I've learned here it is quite simple and it goes from dismantling the console, to sanding the case and applying the paint. I feel quite comfortable with the dismantling and sanding, but with the painting, I could use some help! :)

THE PAINT
1- From what I understand there are 2 main types of paint: that simple "dull", dry plastic paint, and the waxy, autmotive clear paint (I guess these are the ones people use in cars). Is this correct?

2- Is there a general preferred one? I can imagine that for the controllers the automotive one isn't appropriate because it is slippery. But for the console are there any obvious advantages or better results for each one?

3- The brands you use (mainly people from the US) have nothing to do to with what I find here in my country. How can identify a good paint? Does the price-quality really matters? Should I avoid those 2.5€ spray cans and go for the 8-15€ ones? Because once I painted the door of a fridge with a cheap one and it looked good but I don't know...

PRIMER
4- The other thing is what people call "primer" (I'm kind of lost with this :S). Now I understand what it is used for and it's function. My questions are: in your experience is it really needed on a N64 case?

5- I had the idea that the primer was a clear spray (I even hear vinyl spray somewhere, does this make sense?). But is it supposed to be clear or does it come in color and should it be the same color as the final coating?

6- Most importantly, in every store I visit when I ask for this "base coating thing" spray (the primer) they either don't know what it is or only indicate me liquid/bucket paint ones. How can I identify a good primer. I'm having trouble finding it :(

7- By the way I read people saying that they sand a bit more after applying the primer. Is this OK or will it remove the primer? Shouldn't it be all sanded already?

I think that's all for now. Thanks in advance for those who read it all and find some time to help me :)

I think the brands kyrlon fusion and montana gold are around in the UK..... You can defiantly get them online if they are not. The kyrlon fusion is used a lot because it needs no primer. Primer is not always clear, but is commonly white. The clear stuff you mentioned is called clear coat. Get some. It'll protect the paint job and keep it from wearing off.

Any kind of montana works, black and gold are mat colors, white is more satin, I'd avoid montana color, they're wierd, but very sturdy, their clearcoat is actually the best I know of

Back