New car, need a new stereo

bentendo64

As the title states, I aquired a new car, it is a 1999 Honda civic. I would like to buy a new head unit for it because 1) the one currently in it has no aux input or tape deck, and 2) the menues to change equilizer settings or just basically anything on it are terrible. You have to push the volume button a bunch of times (sometimes it's a different amount depending on what's on the osd at the moment) and hope you don't pass what you're looking for and have to go through it all again. And what's worse is the volume dial is what changes the different menu settings, so you have to wait like 8 seconds before you can adjust the volume after changing the bass level. I hate it.

The speakers are stock, there's a kicker sub in the trunk with some sort of amp, not sure of the wattage or brand. I'll probably check soon and edit this post, though.

Anyway, I'm looking to spend $100-150, possibly used. It doesn't have to sound too fantastic, I just want something a bit easier to use and with an aux input. I'd search this stuff myself, but that would be hours of my life thrown away, and I'm pretty sure there are a few people on here who are into this kind of stuff. Also, I don't need any more expensive hobbies.

Does it have the stock headunit or an aftermarket (and if so, what brand and model)?

I'm a fan of Pioneer headunits. The ones they have in your price range are decent, just pick which features you want like USB or bluetooth. Menus can be a little weird, but most (all?) have a dedicated equalizer button to cycle through them (if that's what your issue is). I would go to a store that has powered display models and see which ones you like and narrow it down from there.

I didn't really think about the presets for the eq. I guess I could try them.

It is an aftermarket headunit (I guess I forgot to mention that). I looked at it now, and it's an Eclipse CD5405.

Most of my issue with the menu thingy is probably the fact that I'm so used to my old car. It was just the stock BMW E34 HU and there were just a few buttons you had to push to adjust the bass level and then you could even change the volume at the same time if you really wanted to. I mean, if it were a separate button for the eq I could push, change the level with the volume knob, push the button again and then change the volume, that would be fine. Maybe I'm just picky. I just find the ammount and poor execution of multiplexing of buttons they do with these things.

Back