Netbook Questions (Not 10" toys)

bic

Well, ol' Bic found himself a job, which means it's new toy season. :lol:

I've been looking at 12" netbooks to replace my old Toshiba Portege 7200cte (lol, P3 650 can't even run YouTube), and the Asus 1215n looks like it will suit my needs. (1.8 ghz dual core Atom with ION 2? Yes please!) I mainly want to use it for web browsing, accessing my desktop with TeamViewer, occasional rounds of TF2 and L4D2, and running XBMC on an HDTV with HDMI. The 1215n looks like my best choice without diving into $1000 thin-and-light laptop territory. (10" and under netbooks feel too cramped for me to comfortably use for extended periods of time, both in keyboard size and screen resolution.) Webcam quality isn't a concern for me (probably not going to use it anyway), neither is lack of USB 3.0 and Bluetooth. (I don't have any USB 3 devices, and I already have a couple USB Bluetooth adapters.)

However, a few different sites I've been reading point to a couple recurring problems, and I'd like some input from people who own similar models regarding them. I'm not too concerned about how different games perform (that's what YouTube is for :mrgreen:), but I would like to hear some feedback about a couple other factors.

How bad is the keyboard flex? I'm not extremely heavy-handed while typing, but I've heard it's more pronounced than on bigger laptops. My Toshiba's keyboard flexes about 1/8" when you press on it; if the Eee is about the same I'll be a happy camper. (I bet there's a way to reinforce the keyboard from underneath while the laptop's apart, anyway.)

Is the 5400 RPM hard drive noticeably slow? My plan was to swap the drive out with an SSD next year, after the warranty expires and (hopefully) SSDs come down in price a bit more. Apparently Asus took a page out of the Apple playbook; you have to take half the laptop apart to change the hard drive, voiding the warranty in the process. A 7200 RPM hard drive would be an option too.

I've heard the tiny power port on the 1201 and 1215 is relatively fragile; a few people on other sites posted about the center pin breaking off the port in the laptop. I can replace it with a tougher old-fashioned power plug from Radio Shack if necessary (since sending it in to be "fixed" would just get me another motherboard with an identical port), but I'd rather not have to do that if at all possible. Is the port really so fragile that it breaks if you look at it wrong, or is it just one of those cases where people aren't as careful as they claim to be? Apparently there are other eee models that use the same port...

How is Asus's build quality is general? A lot of people say their netbooks feel cheap, but judging mainly from store models and clients' netbooks, they're about the same as Acer's and HP's.

Thanks!

Re: Netbook Questions (Asus 1201/1215 particularly)

I dunno about everything else, but I can say that the EEE PCs and other ASUS products have wonderful build quality, more so then HP and Acer.

ION 2 should be faster than first-gen ION, but initial tests showed that the 1215N actually had WORSE gaming performance than the 1201N. Later driver updates improved performance to acceptable levels- I'm not sure how it compares now, probably about equal but remember the 1215N has a more powerful processor and will be faster for other things. I believe the problem was the 1x PCI-e link between the D525 and the ION 2. You heard right- that's all that is available, and it slows things down quite a bit.

5400 RPM is the standard for laptop drives these days. A 7200 RPM drive would be faster but I believe they consume more power. SSDs are nice, but big ones are expensive and will probably stay expensive. I don't think the hard drive will be a significant bottleneck, though.

I'm not actually sure where the line is drawn between a netbook and a thin and light/ultralight/subnotebook/ULV laptop. There are 12" ones out there considered ultralights such as the Wind U230 and the Wind12 U250 (if they ever release it). The AMD-based ones seem to be more powerful CPU-wise but less powerful GPU-wise compared to ION/Atom. Athlon Neo single-core kicks the dual-core Atom's ass, which is kind of embarassing. But the integrated Radeon HD 3200 graphics? ION kicks its ass. Of course there are the Intel based ones, which are expensive and have crap for graphics (Intel Horribly Deficient- though probably better than GMA). In fact, I had my heart set on a 1215N until I saw the Acer TimelineX 3820TG in Staples one day. It's a 13" laptop- a bit big, but pretty Dang thin, no optical drive. The one I saw had a Core i5 430 and Radeon HD 5470 and is currently selling for $650 CAD. There are other configurations, of course, but finding one at all in North America seems to be almost impossible.

Long and a bit off topic, I guess. I'm assuming you've thought about it, considered everything and narrowed it down to the ASUS Eee 1201N and 1215N, so my post is mostly pointless (pun in there somewhere?).

Actually I hadn't even thought about the 1201n, and didn't look at at more expensive thin-and-light laptops. If I want something that's only going to get 2 hours on a charge I'll just use my HP dv5000. :p (I only brought the 1201n up because of physical similarities; I think it has the exact same questionable power plug as the 1215.) The 1215n has both the dedicated ION 2 and onboard GMA 3150, so as long as it stays with the Intelgrated video the battery life is reportedly close to any other 12" netbook.

I'm not as concerned about gaming performance as I am about general usability. (Which is why I'm not even considering 10" netbooks. I didn't bother with Nile-based netbooks for the same reason I didn't bother with the older Atoms: single core low power CPU is slow.) It's just nice to have the option to play some games on it if I wanted to, and hardware video decoding is always fun. :awesome:

$500 is about all I really want to put down for a secondary toy.

Asus FTW. Ive had an Eee 701 since day one, and havent managed to break it yet. Even though ive done all sorts of stuff to it, that would break any laptop. And the G73 Is the best laptop I have ever used. Ive not used a 1201 series EEE, but every Asus product i have used has blown past my expectations. Also, Ion + atom 330 +tinyXP = Uber-power.

I can third the Asus brand durability. Rock Solid, just like they say on some of their packaging. I've also owned the EEE 701, and the 900a. Dang solid build quality, performance was on par with netbooks of the same size/chipset.

Aww the 1215n sold out already. It's new, they'll get more.

There's a similar model (1215t) going for about $120 less, but it's built around the AMD Nile chipset (K125 single core 1.7 ghz, Radeon HD 4250) and I'm not sure how that will affect general usability and battery life. If it's comparable to the D525+ION2, it's definitely worth considering. (It's easy enough to throw XP on.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834220857

Acer has a couple 11" models that are built around the same architecture, but come with Win7 Home Premium...
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=4938
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=4949
http://us.acer.com/acer/productv.do?Lan ... C=83346820

I guess it comes down to performance and battery life between the two platforms... :confused:

Searching around, the K125 is weaksauce compared to the dual-core Atoms. I was probably thinking of the K325 dual-core, if they ever release it.

The first Acer seems to have a dual-core, but I've never seen that model before so that's pretty much all I can say.

Wow, there's quite a bit out there designed around Nile.

Mmm... Baby Thinkpad... :homer:

1.6 ghz Turion neo x2 vs 1.8 ghz Atom 525? I'd be happy with 5 hours from a charge. (Considering the laptop it will replace gets 5 minutes per charge... :lol:)

WHY DOESN'T ANYONE PIT DUAL CORE NILE VS DUAL CORE ION 2? :cry4:

*checks lenovo outlet*

Mmm... Cheap slightly imperfect baby Thinkpad...

Find a used M11X, with the new batch of i5 and i7 powered ones out you should be able to pick a first gen one up for cheap.

Hey if you want to check the GPU's in these things go to notebookcheck.com. From what I can tell you won't be doing any games on that Ati 4250.

That Alienware has decent specs, but it looks like a shiny toy. (And because it's an Alienware, people seem to think a used one is worth 90% of its original cost. :facepalm:) I just want to run Source stuff occasionally, not get 9002 FPS in Crysis. :p

I'll probably get a dual-core x100e from Lenovo's outlet site. I really like their build quality, and it can be configured with a thin-and-light class CPU and GPU (Turion Neo X2 L625 / Radeon HD 3200) for about the same price as the 1215n. Also I love TrackPoints and matte LCDs, both of which Lenovo still offers. :awesome:

I believe ION is better than the Radeon 3200, but the much faster processor should make up for that.

Matte displays = :awesome: TrackPoint = :facepalm:

And yeah, Alienware stuff tends to disappear.

The only people who diss TrackPoints are the ones who used them less than 5 minutes. :p

I wish they made a version with just a TrackPoint, so you could get a better keyboard. Add a couple extra buttons that act like the scroll wheel when you press them and you'll have... My old Toshiba. Dangit I'm too used to that bloody thing.

bic said:
The only people who diss TrackPoints are the ones who used them less than 5 minutes. :p
TrackPoints are pretty good once you get used to them. They're one of the 3 things I miss about 2001-2004 laptops: Trackpoints, Awesome Touch Pads and Matte Displays. And it seems like the laptop you chose has all 3.

Back