Needed caps after AlmostWTF?

Fluxedo

I did an AlmostWTF trim earlier today and I wired up 3.3 and 1.7 to the proper places and the chips get hot and the voltages drop about .1v indicating there is draw. So obviously the cube is working in some fashion but when I try to wire to the AV chip I get a black screen. Do I need the cap for the video like to be wired in for the video line to work?

Depending on which type of audio pre-amp is on your board you may have one more capacitor than this picture. Regardless, you only need this capacitor for video to work, but I'm sure that didn't get removed.
343kqs7.png

You also need this resistor here, which you may have cut off:
1zebo8y.jpg

There are also 1 to 2 capacitors necessary for the audio pre-amp to function but I don't know if you're using that.

Thanks I didn't know that cap was needed but I put it back on to no avail. I removed them all to ensure I didn't mess them up with the dremel. Here's some pictures of my board

http://imgur.com/a/YX8iD

Maybe you'll see something I don't but I'm very curious why I can't get any trace of a video signal except the normal static bars from when you plug in a video Jack on a CRT. I double checked all my wiring and I'm pretty sure I used thick enough wire. All the pins on the ARAM chip are bridged properly too.

Edit: I don't know if it's visible in the picture but I have that 2.4k resistor between pins 15 and 16

You might just not have the right pin. You don't need to solder to the IC. There's a big solder pad for the video capacitor on the other side of the board.
That very solder pad could be bridged to a hidden ground layer, so try sanding too.

I soldered to the giant pad and still nothing :/ I'm getting 1.2k resistance between the video line and ground so I doubt they're bridged. I danced the edges of the board yesterday all the way down to 600 grit so I doubt that would be the problem. Anything else I should try before I give up on this board?

Are you sure the CPU and the GPU are both on and drawing current? Have you tested for audio directly from the AV chip?

They both begin getting warm after I plug it in and it drops from 1.78v to 1.62v. Is it possible one isn't getting enough current or any at all leading to no video? The caps on my 1.7 reg are 10v and I'm feeding it 12 if that can cause problems.

It could be not enough current, maybe. Try thicker power wire and a higher CPU/GPU voltage. If that doesn't work, I don't know.

Back