Need to build the cheapest PC.

superben51

Just like the title says, I need to build the cheapest possible full size PC. Cost takes priority over everything but I prefer an intel based processer.

At that price point, you're going to be much better off buying secondhand.

Yeah, I know, but I made a bet with one of my friends that I could build it. If I can he'll pay for it :twisted:

ttsgeb said:
At that price point, you're going to be much better off buying secondhand.
He is right. However, you could theoretically build a PC with off the shelf parts for that price:

j1zcac374e4nx116g.jpg

That said, just because it's possible, doesn't mean it should be done. I spec'd that build by going to each required category, and using the 'sort by lowest price' option. Many of those parts have terrible reviews, if any at all, and are just generally lame parts. If you need a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, then you're assuredly screwed unless you buy secondhand complete.

That computer will not work. Llano FM1 in AM3 motherboard.

I've done it before, in theory, but I can't recall exactly what I did. You'd end up with a flax box regardless, though.

Regarding sj3's build, you don't need a DVD drive- that saves $15. Depending on what's available, a case that comes with a PSU may be cheaper than case+psu. I don't know if you can still buy them, but 2GB memory modules were cheap.

XCVG said:
That computer will not work. Llano FM1 in AM3 motherboard.
Aww, Dang, you're right. I initially had a single core sempron, then changed to the llano when I saw twice as many cores for $1 more, but I didn't think to change the socket. Ah well.

Just for the lulz, I attempted to do it. Ended up with an AMD-based system, A4-5300, 2GB RAM, 500GB hard drive. Ended up $20 or so over, but mail-in rebates and not being in Canada would bring it under.

If you can use a USB drive to boot instead of a hard drive, you can shave off another few bucks, but then it might be outside the scope of the challenge.

Back