Need help with finding GCp Parts, homeschooled and have time

skippito

Hello! I am skippito, a noob here, though I have read practically all stickied tutorials over the past few months.

I am thinking of attempting to make my own GCp. I already have a screen, several controllers (most third party and very cheap), and a buddy has agreed to give me his broken GC (which if I cannot salvage I can purchase another), but I still need some help picking out the rest.

I plan to make a custom regulator and use this battery:
http://www.batteryspace.com/polymerli-ionbattery74v5000mah37wh7aratewithpcbandpolyswitch.aspx

Is there a better option?

As for case, there is a reasonable chance I will have access to a 3d printer within a few months, but I still need a design. That is probably up to me though. :tophat:

I plan to replace the DD with a Wiikey fusion.

As for the memory card, can I not just integrate a memory card chip? I wouldn't be able to transfer save files but it seems easier. I would like some opinions on this.

I can get a few parts now (~ $100 worth, maybe more, up to $170)), but the rest will have to come in august, when I will have more money from my part time job.

As for sound, I have several pairs of broken headphones which I can salvage, one of which has a variable resistor. I also have some parts I could rig into an audio out

Parts List:

Gamecube [X]
Controllers[]
Screen []
Battery [X]
Case [X]

Optional Parts List:
Speakers []
WiiKey [X]
MC/Gecko?[X]

Re: Need help with finding GCp Parts, homeschooled and have

Point of getting portable speakers is to salvage the amplifier. Unless your screen has an amplifier, your sound will be quiet

orangeziggy84 said:
I think you can wire a sd card for the memory.
No. You can't. At least using a standard cube, I thought I heard something about that being possible with swiss but that it was buggy and not worth it. For batteries, you don't want the ones you linked to, they are probably crap. Look around on batteryspace.com, those are the real deal.

superben51 said:
orangeziggy84 said:
No. You can't. At least using a standard cube, I thought I heard something about that being possible with swiss but that it was buggy and not worth it. For batteries, you don't want the ones you linked to, they are probably crap. Look around on batteryspace.com, those are the real deal.

Hmm. Ok.

I assume I still want 12v. Most of those batteries are over $150 dollars each though O.O

As with past electronics projects, my biggest issue is finding what parts I need. So many to choose from...

Get a job foo. LolLol
I literally got a job to fund my projects, oh and school.

SNEAKxxATTACK said:
Get a job foo. LolLol
I literally got a job to fund my projects, oh and school.

I do have a job, I'm at work right now. The Lowly Intern.

The problem is my parents require that the first $2.2k I make has to go towards my schoolwork, which means I won't have too much money until august. (I'm gone most of july)

I found this one, not completely sure how I would use it though.

http://www.batteryspace.com/custom-poly ... t-4-5.aspx

now all i can say is save up, batteries are not something to skimp out on.
it's the thing that I need to max out on my gcp based on how much space i have left.

skippito said:
I found this one, not completely sure how I would use it though.
Link
If you are using a custom regulator, then you can go all the way down to 7.4v and have it still work fine. If you are using the stock regulator you'll want a pack that's 14.7v due to the start up voltage of the gamecube.

Ah. So If I build the custom regulator that was posted somewhere here (don't have the link or author name on me), then I can power it with this:

http://www.batteryspace.com/polymerli-ionbattery74v5000mah37wh7aratewithpcbandpolyswitch.aspx

I only see a positive and negative wire running off of that, so I assume that I can either charge or discharge, but cannot do both at the same time? To charge I would use this (after some cable shortening):

http://www.batteryspace.com/smartcharger12afor74vli-ionpolymerrechargeablebatterypack--ullisted.aspx

Do I have this right? In order to charge I would probably want a three way switch, one being power to the regulator, one being connection to the charger, and one off.

Just trying to figure this out.

jrikard0 said:
orangeziggy84 said:

Are you sure? How? :eek:
superben51 said:
orangeziggy84 said:
No. You can't. At least using a standard cube, I thought I heard something about that being possible with swiss but that it was buggy and not worth it.
:wtf:

Still looking at batteries. I currently plan to get this:

http://www.batteryspace.com/polymerli-ionbattery148v5ah74wh7arate.aspx

and this to charge it:

http://www.batteryspace.com/smartch...chargeablebatterypackwithtwopinconnector.aspx

Also, a question about the Wiikey fusion + Swiss.

Now that autoboot works, I don't have to get a NC switch, right? I just wire it to ground.

I also do not need an sd gecko I think.

Wiikey fusion boots swiss (swiss is an iso, or just firmware?) (swiss boots from DVD drive (which is wiikey) and if you put games on the wiikey sd card, it should work, right? Or do I need an SD gecko to boot off of?

Thanks.

Edit: From reading some wiki page, it seems that swiss is flashed onto the Wiikey, making it not required to be on the SD card. This means I can just tell swiss to boot from DVD, and it should go to the Wiikey Fusion SD card slot, and boot from there. Is this right?

Also, to make multiple games on a single SD card, I would need to make a multi-game ISO, right?

I took apart a controller to experiment on, to get the hang of it. I took a dremel to it, and am now trying to rewire the traces. It is a third-party controller, so all the traces are visible. I reconnected ground with no issue, but when I put one end of a wire on the "b" trace, it hits B, but also moves the main control stick to the top right? The main stick no longer functions either, but that half of the board is completely untouched. I only cut off A, B, X, Y, Z, R (fully down), and the C stick. (The potentiometer for r is still attached, but the bottom right pin (from top) is no longer connected. I assume this is a pin to hold it in place, and not needed. Am I wrong?

I also followed the trace from the R down to the main board, but when I connect that to ground I get c-left. What is going on here? Is there an explanation for this? I think Ill just wind up taking apart my other cheap controller, not break it, and just wire tact switches to it. It's rather a shame to waste so much space.

Bump.

Should I post pictures of the board? I would like some guesses as to why it is acting so funky.

I have a 3d printer, they aren't great if you want to print a case. I'd try to smuggle one out of polycase.com. Just ask for some free samples.

$10 or free, I'll go with free any day for the same thing.

Ill post the controller board once I get the chance.

As for power, Do I have this right? I'm pretty sure there is a better way to do this, but I'm not sure.

diagram%20power%20switchv1.png

Drew that up in paint really fast. Did I miss anything? Obviously, the ground was just put at the bottom of the picture to make it easier to make sense of.

Er, Wall charger is 12-14v power from the wall. There is no charging involved.

Back