[NEED HELP] How To Make A GameCube Portable?

The best advice that I feel I can give is to take your time. Do not rush. I see people rushing through their builds all the time, whether it's on here or on other forums. The result is almost always the same. Those people who rush, always seem to have the most problems when it comes to their portable builds. Ironically enough, this always seems to cost them more time and money in the end. Also try not to put an unrealistic deadline on yourself. That is another thing I see happen often on here or other forums. From what I can tell, doing so often results in a sloppy build or in disappointment as the people who do so are often not able to finish their portable by the deadline they set.

When I build a portable, I take my time. I make sure that every component has a place and that every wire is run as neatly as possible. I also build the portable one layer at a time, testing things as I go along. I also build the portable into the case, as I find that building it outside of the case and then fitting it into the case afterwards often results in a much sloppier build and is more work. Once you get your skills to a certain point you will find that even when taking your time, you will be able to finish a portable Gamecube in about 30-40 hours. My current record is 12 Hours for all the wiring and fitting with about 12 extra hours spent on waiting for the case to print.

Another good piece of advice that I can give you is to save up a good budget for your build. Over the years, I have found that it is much easier building a portable when you have access to all the proper parts and the proper tools. Not only that, but it often results in a much nicer portable in the end. So save up so you can buy some good parts and tools to use for your build. You'll be thankful you did in the end.

RedmagnusX said:
The best advice that I feel I can give is to take your time. Do not rush. I see people rushing through their builds all the time, whether it's on here or on other forums. The result is almost always the same. Those people who rush, always seem to have the most problems when it comes to their portable builds. Ironically enough, this always seems to cost them more time and money in the end. Also try not to put an unrealistic deadline on yourself. That is another thing I see happen often on here or other forums. From what I can tell, doing so often results in a sloppy build or in disappointment as the people who do so are often not able to finish their portable by the deadline they set.

When I build a portable, I take my time. I make sure that every component has a place and that every wire is run as neatly as possible. I also build the portable one layer at a time, testing things as I go along. I also build the portable into the case, as I find that building it outside of the case and then fitting it into the case afterwards often results in a much sloppier build and is more work. Once you get your skills to a certain point you will find that even when taking your time, you will be able to finish a portable Gamecube in about 30-40 hours. My current record is 12 Hours for all the wiring and fitting with about 12 extra hours spent on waiting for the case to print.

Another good piece of advice that I can give you is to save up a good budget for your build. Over the years, I have found that it is much easier building a portable when you have access to all the proper parts and the proper tools. Not only that, but it often results in a much nicer portable in the end. So save up so you can buy some good parts and tools to use for your build. You'll be thankful you did in the end.
Yeah, I've seen many sloppy ones. Since this will be my first one. I want it really nice. You said to be patience, and that is the a major thing I learned for this to work out. I don't think it will take 12 hours. I'm setting a goal/estimate for half a year of learning and half year for making it making it one year all together, which seems pretty reasonable for my first build I think. Also, you said it's better when you build it in the case. How does that work? Say you already have the buttons holes cut out, but you realize that would not work or like the SD Card slot somewhere, but realize you have to put it somew here else?

dididan2000 said:
RedmagnusX said:

Yeah, I've seen many sloppy ones. Since this will be my first one. I want it really nice. You said to be patience, and that is the a major thing I learned for this to work out. I don't think it will take 12 hours. I'm setting a goal/estimate for half a year of learning and half year for making it making it one year all together, which seems pretty reasonable for my first build I think. Also, you said it's better when you build it in the case. How does that work? Say you already have the buttons holes cut out, but you realize that would not work or like the SD Card slot somewhere, but realize you have to put it somew here else?

Check out my work log at the link below to see what I mean.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=14257

RedmagnusX said:
dididan2000 said:
RedmagnusX said:

Ok, I'll go look at it now.

RedmagnusX said:
dididan2000 said:
RedmagnusX said:

Ok, so after you took apart the GC and you have the gamecube, you trim the motherboard accordingly to the case, get a 5.6 inch screen and put the take out all the controller parts to fit into the case?

Don't pick a case and then try to work your internals around that. Decide how much space your internals will take and build a case around those prerequisites. Its an awful feeling when you put it all together and it doesn't fit in your case.

Don't try to make your first portable to ridiculous standards like I'm doing. It'll wind up taking a year or more like me. You can see how many portables I have made in my signature.

Pick a design and be flexible with if, but don't go all" Duke nukem forever" on it (change everything and start over) like me. That's bad.

Don't try to make your first portable some new and revolutionary cube. Stick to the basics, get a portable working, then start innovating, or else your will be in limbo for a while.

tl;dr: Don't be me

Dyxlesci said:
Don't pick a case and then try to work your internals around that. Decide how much space your internals will take and build a case around those prerequisites. Its an awful feeling when you put it all together and it doesn't fit in your case.

Don't try to make your first portable to ridiculous standards like I'm doing. It'll wind up taking a year or more like me. You can see how many portables I have made in my signature.

Pick a design and be flexible with if, but don't go all" Duke nukem forever" on it (change everything and start over) like me. That's bad.

Don't try to make your first portable some new and revolutionary cube. Stick to the basics, get a portable working, then start innovating, or else your will be in limbo for a while.

tl;dr: Don't be me
Ok, thanks. The only thing I do not fully understand so far is the WiiKey Fusion? What exactly is it, and how do you integrate it into a GameCube Portable.

Many of the questions you've asked can be answered in the Mega-Stickes.

To answer your question, the WiiKey Fusion is a modchip which allows loading games from an SD card. Most portables use this as opposed to a bulky disk drive.

These days, you're more likely to find a WASP fusion. It is a clone of the WiiKey and serves the same purpose.

You can read more about wiring one up to a GC here:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6003

EDIT - Depending on how you're trimming the motherboard (if at all), I'd recommend a Megadrive which will allow you to hook it up with minimal effort.
When they are in stock, you'll find them here. That is also the place to buy a WASP.

RageCreation said:
Many of the questions you've asked can be answered in the Mega-Stickes.

To answer your question, the WiiKey Fusion is a modchip which allows loading games from an SD card. Most portables use this as opposed to a bulky disk drive.

These days, you're more likely to find a WASP fusion. It is a clone of the WiiKey and serves the same purpose.

You can read more about wiring one up to a GC here:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6003

EDIT - Depending on how you're trimming the motherboard (if at all), I'd recommend a Megadrive which will allow you to hook it up with minimal effort.
When they are in stock, you'll find them here. That is also the place to buy a WASP.
What is a Megadribe exactly?

Since you're making your first portable, it'll be extremely helpful for you to get one.
I can't sadly due to how it will make my portable take even more time to build due to money.

Back