Need Help, Having Ghosting Issues, In a Hurry.

Shield

Hello all,

I have been working on my n64 portable for a long while now and I'm getting close to finishing it, my problem is I'm trying to get S-Video to work with my 7" car screen, I was able to get it to work when I was hooking it up with an n64 s-video cable by adding jumpers to the pins of the end of the cable and then hot wiring it to the screen.

Now my problem is I have desoldered all the ports and connectors including the main video out port, I thought no problem now all I have to do is tap into the s-video pins on the board and I'm good. Nope here's what I got...

Click this to see them in full size, https://imgur.com/pYhwGEK,nHDnfdg,W3ndfuP#0

This is the Composite line looks fine.

pYhwGEK.jpg

Here are 2 examples of the problem.

W3ndfuP.jpg

nHDnfdg.jpg

Am I missing something, I have desoldered everything from the video out port then I only soldered the s-video lines back, still having the same problem, ANYBODY KNOW WHY THIS IS HAPPENING????????

I think you have ringing on the luma line. If you have a volt meter, I suggest checking the resistance from luma on the board to luma on the screen, and from luma to ground, or waiting for the advice of someone that actually knows what they're talking about.

i had this problem before and found out that it usually happens when the batteries are almost out of juice try recharging your batteries i hope this helps :D

Hey all I think I got it :D , but I don't really understand why :confused: .

Thanks for the advice Prog, E64 and bud.

I spent a bunch of hours trying to reverse engineer why it worked with the standard Gamecube s-video cable and why I got the ghosting by directly wiring the C/Y to the screen connector. If I couldn't get it working I would have just went with composite like you all have said.

So long story short, I hooked up the soldered console s-video luma/chroma wires with alligator jumpers to a section of a standard s-video cable and then only hooked up the luma to the screen on the other side and it works, hard to understand but it seems to be that it depends on how close the 2 separate C/Y wires are to each other, there must be some kind of cross talk in the separate wires that penetrates into each wire, even though they are not touching, and I only need to hook up the luma wire for it to work fine :confused: ? So passing the signal through this setup works.

The soldered wires on the console are standard left right audio cables I cut up, it has shielding but I did not use it thus far in testing, I think I'll ground both sides for good measure.

Yellow jumper is screen input.
White jumper is Luma
Red jumper is Chroma

15uXHGe.jpg

qfUlCJ5.jpg

CqSh8TR.jpg

wvHrAhq.jpg

KtEEo97.jpg

x6CVdPR.jpg

S-Video VS Composite, not a huge difference as has been said, but it was one of my goals since I saw this build http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=442 so I tried for it.

The Difference here is mostly in the text and edges where you can see a difference sharpness, color in my camera was way off though.
Composite:
vTv6ksI.jpg

S-Video:
L9L9pYD.jpg

Hey,

Well the screen images that I posted there are not very good for color representation, this is a better one, I tried to get the color closer to the real thing, maybe a couple percentage points in difference on color, most noticeable is the sharpness on fine details as you can see, yeah it was a lot of work for just a meager boost in quality but there it is. Thanks again for the tips everybody.

By the way, does anybody know why my setup works, out of curiosity?

Above is S-Video and Below is Composite.
Gv8A3Qu.jpg

Back