Need help finding monitors

ttsgeb

Breaker of Everything
Staff member
Alright, So I'm in the planning stages of upgrading my computer system right now, and one of the big things I'm looking at is displays.
I'm interested in setting up a triple screen system with 16:10 displays. I'm not too worried about a mount, I can build that myself, But I would like some help finding screens for this.
I'm looking for at least 1920*1200 resolution and around 150dpi.
I'm not interested in a screen larger than 24'', and the 17-20 range is optimal.
Of course, minimal bezel is desirable on these, but I'm not afraid to void some warranties to get rid of a bit of bezel if it saves me $100.
I would like something that has a strong supply and preferably at the start of it's product lifespan: I expect to spend a year or two getting them all together.
It needs decent vertical viewing angles, I want to put them in portrait orientation for daily use.
Tilt sensors are a plus for when I just HAVE to go into landscape for movies or something stupid like that.
LED backlit is a plus.
Color accuracy is important
I'm not afraid of laptop screens, as long as I can get a kit for them. (last I checked, NJYTouch doesn't offer kits for LED backlit screens).
I would like them to be less than $200 each, but I'm just planning right now, so I can swing to $250-$300 to make life easier.

So, if anyone knows a magic cheap screen that fits all of my criteria, please let me know. I'm not good at this. It seems there aren't many 16:10 screens because people are stupid or something.

I am looking for new 16:10 monitors myself, and based on my research, I think your desires are unfulfillable. The cheapest 1920x1200 monitors I have really ever seen are around $250 new, and they aren't exactly great. Crummy angles, ~15ms response, pretty dim. In general, I'd say this one is about the best deal out there.

Really though, I am more worried about what graphics card to upgrade to. This one (560Ti @ 1ghz) isn't bad, but it is perfectly sized for my resolution - I can run all my games at high/ultimate at my native res (1680x1050) with no real trouble, but it maxes out my card in many instances. So upgrading monitors would require some changes. Especially since I am considering twin 30" 2560x1600 panels. (with a third coming later)

Well, the seemingly unattainable goal is where things like this come in.
That's the screen on the laptop I'm using now, If I find a kit for it I get something for about $100 that fits most of my criteria.

LG LP171WU5 (TL)(A1)

I really wish 16:10 screens were easier to find, though. The small selection of them is pretty silly if you ask me.

Hmm, that would be pretty cool to build a small eyefinity array with. I hadn't really ever thought of using laptop displays.

Tiny Bezel, high pixel density, relatively low costs, DIY?
I pretty much constantly think it.
The problem is finding nice LVDS controllers. These ones from NJYTouch prefer to do their own color calibration, and it's rather annoying to me.

I don't think each doing it's own colour calibration would be too bad - as long as they had the same preferences. I assume those NJY controllers offer DVI/HDMI in?

Some models offer DVI, some don't. You just need to pay that extra bit of attention.

The Occulus rift is flax for desktop environments... Which happen to be where I spend most of my online time. I don't like being fully immersed in my computer experience all the Dang time, thank you. This is the same reason I hardly ever wear headphones.

You are looking at this the wrong way.

You can have a SUPERCHARGED 3d-HD 2-Dimensional Surface-Interface EXPERIENCE! :awesome:

I would hardly call the Rift HD. For my desktop enviorments, I have a minimal acceptable resolution that the Rift frankly doesn't meet. That said, i would LOVE to see a shell that takes advantage of the 3d space the rift provides, allowing me to swivel around in my chair to see different parts of my workspace. But then again, I don't think anyone DOESN'T want that. Also, the resolution of the Rift STILL causes problems, seeing as my individual letters are likely smaller than a pixel on the rift, and I just don't want that. That's why I like my high res screens and not my phone screen.

but but but but.... Explosive new architecture?

In all seriousness, if you aren't super-worried about dead pixels, you could pick up one of these http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2

They are made of the same panels as the 27-inch Imacs, but they cost substantially less, but it comes at the cost of them being the offshoots. So probably dead pixels, and flax that doesn't pass apple QA.

They really aren't bad, I have bought a few, only one had a dead pixel.

SteamDNT said:

In all seriousness, if you aren't super-worried about dead pixels, you could pick up one of these http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2

They are made of the same panels as the 27-inch Imacs, but they cost substantially less, but it comes at the cost of them being the offshoots. So probably dead pixels, and flax that doesn't pass apple QA.

Better yet, just get them straight from Korea with a zero dead pixel guarantee for less money.

Mako321 said:
SteamDNT said:

Better yet, just get them straight from Korea with a zero dead pixel guarantee for less money.
Linky?

Just search 2560x1440 on eBay and you find a *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ton of them.

So, been talking to some people in China...

Worked out a setup that gives me a 17.1 WUXGA Macbook Pro Screen and driver for something like $135.

I'm posting the convo as a PDF because I can.

http://shockslayer.com/ttsgeb/17.1%20WUXGA.pdf

Ima try it. I need to come up with about $35 first, but I'll let you guys know how it goes when it happens.

Just got it all in, and it's AMAZING
The best kind of packages are the ones that are some assembly required.
wp20130611001c.jpg

wp20130611003.jpg

wp20130611004.jpg

wp20130611005.jpg

wp20130611006.jpg

wp20130611007.jpg

wp20130611008.jpg

wp20130611018.jpg

wp20130611019.jpg

wp20130611017.jpg

wp20130611016.jpg

wp20130611031.jpg