N64p quick questions?!?! thoughts and ideas

JetLife

about to get started on making an n64p, just a few quick questions first to make sure im prepared to start
what type of wire exactly has everyone found to use? and which types work better for which functions (i.e, whats best for relocating the cart port, whats best for wiring the buttons to controller board, etc)
is a desoldering tool neccessary?
a few recommendations for screens that people have used would be nice. im most likely going to go with the psone 5" lcd, but ive been looking at a 3.5 car review lcd that looks perfect, the only thing is that id have to wire an amp for audio which i would like to avoid.

Also, i was thinking about this concept, not sure how great of an idea it is though. if i got an lcd screen without speakers but a headphone jack, instead of wiring an amp, i could get mini speakers and have them play through a headphone jack, and mount them externally on the case. i doubt that they make lcds like that, as there would most likely be speakers if there was a headphone jack, seeing that there would have to be audio input. i suppose you could use that method with a screen with audio in, and just save yourself from wiring the audio, but i supposed thatd be overkilll :confused: just a thought.
thanks in advance for the help

For relocating the cart slot, plus things that require minimum power, I'd use some 28 gauge IDE wire. For wiring controller stuff, precision wiring, etc, use thin IDE cable.( ultraSATA or something)
Edit: liek ur nam3 br0.

nuke said:
For relocating the cart slot, plus things that require minimum power, I'd use some 28 gauge IDE wire. For wiring controller stuff, precision wiring, etc, use thin IDE cable.( ultraSATA or something)
Edit: liek ur nam3 br0.

thanks for the help!!!! and lol thanks :lol:

Edit: will 22gauge be sufficent for cart slot relocation? if not, what will 22 gauge be good for? and will 18gauge be good for wiring the volt reg? will i need dif gauge wire for wiring buttons to controller board, controller board to mother board, screen to mother board, mother board to power supply? i hate to ask all these questions, im sorry, im an idiot at wiring :/

Read the stickies. Welcome to ModRetro. Nice name. Also, use 30 gauge IDE for pretty much everything. For power wires, though, you can use the 22.

mymixed said:
Read the stickies. Welcome to ModRetro. Nice name. Also, use 30 gauge IDE for pretty much everything. For power wires, though, you can use the 22.

Will do, and thanks alot i appreciate it!!!

Anyone have a link to the 30g ide wire mentioned above? Ive scoured through old comp stuff and looked online to buy it, but to no avail

Back