N64 universal cartridge slot *please read*

ehabcharek

hey guys!
so, I like import games. Especially Famicom games. Which means I either have to get an adapter or mod the console to get the imported games to work. As many of you know, the N64 only need to have 2 pieces of the cartridge slot plastic to be removed (DOESN'T WORK WITH PAL). Using a dremel seems to be the best choice for me. However, I find it quite ugly, and it could hurt you if you don't know how to handle the tool you're using. Besides, you're destroying something that could be worth more in the future. The console will cost more if it wasn't tampered with (relatively speaking, as you need to clean it every now and then)

That's why I came up with this! a 3D printed universal cartridge slot (by universal I mean japanese and american consoles only)

here is the shapeways link: http://shpws.me/wprv
here is the thingiverse link (in case you already have a 3D printer): http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:513728

unfortunately, I haven't tested to see if it fits or not. If you are willing and able to get one, or brave enough to test it for science, be my guest. I am unfortunately financially unable to test it currently. Speaking of finances, tell me if I should increase or decrease the price. I don't know how much it's worth :p.Also, please leave feedback if you do buy one, so that I can fix any problems you might have with the part. I honestly don't know how the money stuff work with shapeways, so I don't know how to control the price :p

I'd be up for trying this, but before I know if it works (someone has tested it) I wouldn't put money down on it on top of the price of having it made

I downloaded the stl from thingiverse and it loads super tiny (0.92mm x 3.77mm x 0.66mm). Not sure if that was on purpose, and of course I can resize it myself but for a set sized model that doesn't necessarily need to be parametric just thought I'd mention that to you.

n64slotv2.jpg

very interesting!
That also happened when I uploaded it to shapeways the first time. to fix that, I re-uploaded the same file, but when it asked for the units, I chose meters.
In the program I used (blender), I selected meters as well. However, whenever I would extrude anything, I would add a "cm" at the end of the number. Blender then understands that it's in cm. Maybe the program you're using thinks it's already in cm and thus turns it to mm.

EDIT:
I was looking at the image you provided a little, and I noticed that your dimensions are different than what I have! Here's what I have:
14.83cm x 3.612cm x 2.595cm (like the dimensions in the shapeways link)
to fix your issue, all you have to do is set the units to meters (as explained earlier). However, your numbers don't match with mine even after the conversion! And I don't know why DX

I just realized that the website is back online (it wasn't working for a while for me)
this is an update from Dec 5th!
I got my model posted on shapeways and thingiverse, and I ordered it from shapeways on black friday because they provided free delivery. I got it today, and here is the thing:
IMG_20141205_135121.jpg

you might notice that the cartridge connector hole on the white (3D printed) one looks broken. That's because it is. When I got the item there was an extra piece of plastic, thinner than the rest of the body but strong enough to make it somewhat hard to brake, was covering more than 50% of the hole. I had to brake it using my fingers, then a little more with a screw driver. I'm not happy about that. It's not noticeable when it's in the console, however.
Speaking of being in the console, I made a small mistake with the model itself. Two of the corners of the object are quite fragile, and I did not position them correctly. When I put it in the N64, they broke after screwing the object in place. I fixed that by using hot glue to connect the broken pieces to the object with a little bit of space between the two. That was my fault,not shapeways', so I edited the 3D model to what I think will fix the problem.
other than those 2 issues, the cartridge slot looks amazing in the console. You can't see the broken corners. I tried all of the N64 games I have, north american and japanese, and they all work great! I would say that if anyone would test the modified model with no issues, this project would be a success!
so does anyone wanna try it now? :p

Back